As A Freshman (2018-19)
• Breaststroke leg of the 400 Medley Relay at the NCAA Championships, finishing 24th with a time of 3:07.88; also competed individually at NCAAs in the 100 Breast and the 200 Breast.
• Finished fifth in the 200 Breast at the Big Ten Championships, recording a personal-best and No. 2 time in program history of 1:53.70; also clocked the No. 3 100 Breast time in program history of 52.73 with an 11th-place finish.
• Helped the 400 Medley Relay to afourth-place finish with a time of 3:06.20 at the Big Ten Championships.
• Posted a career-best 200 IM time of 1:46.23 for 19th at Big Tens.
• Won the 200 Breast with a time of 2:00.08 at the Shamrock Invitational; also earned a win in both the 100 Breast and 200 breast vs. Florida and Kentucky.
• Claimed a win in the 200 Breast (1:55.96) at the Ohio State Invitational and finished second in the 100 Breast (53.89).
• Opened his Ohio State career with wins in the 100 or 200 Breast in five consecutive meets.
• Led the team in the 100 Breast and second in the 200 Breast.
Prior to Ohio State
• Two-time OHSAA state champion in the 100 Breast.
• OHSAA D1 State Record holder in the 100 Breast.
• Three-time NISCA All-American.
• Lettered three years at Pickerington North and one year at Westerville North.
• Also swam on the Ohio State Swim Club from 2013 to 2018.
• Named Ohio High School Male Swimmer of the Year by The Varsity Awards in 2017.
• Four-year MVP throughout high school, earning the honor at both Pickerington and Westerville.
• USA Swimming National Age Group Top 16 Award in both 2016 and 2017.
• Son of Greg and Elizabeth Mathews.
• Has four siblings – two sisters and two brothers.
• Chose Ohio State because of the important of family and the amazing opportunities OSU offers both athletically and academically.
• Majoring in microbiology.
• Plans to attend graduate school and dreams of helping others in a field of medicine.
• Lists greatest sports thrill as competing at the 2016 U.S. Olympic Swimming Team Trials.
• Favorite hobbies include playing other sports, hiking, tech, piano, reading and spending time with friends and family.