Career Honors | Bests
• Second Team All-Big Ten (19)
• Academic All-Big Ten (17, 19)
• Ohio State Scholar-Athlete (17, 19)
• CSCAA First Team Scholar All-American (18)
As A Senior (2018-19)
• Part of the 400 Medley Relay team that finished 24th at the NCAA Championships with a time of 3:07.88; also competed individually in the 100 and 200 Fly.
• Claimed silver in the 100 Back at the Big Ten Championships with a personal record time of 46.06, also the No. 4 time in program history; Placed sixth in the 100 Fly with a career-best time of 45.77 for the fifth-fastest time in program history; posted a 200 Fly prelim time of 1:42.33 for a new best and No. 2 time in program history, eventually finishing sixth in the final.
• Won the 100 Back at the Shamrock Invitational (47.06).
• Finished third in the 100 Back (47.73) at the Ohio State Invitational, a personal best.
• Recorded a career-best 100 Free time of 46.50 agianst Denison.
• Opened the season with a win the 200 Fly (1:48.04) vs. Alabama.
• Led the team with the fastest 100 Back time; No. 2 in the 200 Fly, No. 3 in the 100 Fly.
As A Junior (2017-18)
• NCAA qualifier in the 100 Fly and 200 Fly.
• Posted a personal-best 200 Fly time of 1:42.47 at the Ohio State Last Chance meet.
• Took fourth in the 200 Fly with a time of 1:43.07 at the Big Ten Championships; also finished sixth in the 100 Fly with a career-best time of 46.10 and ninth in the 100 Back with a personal-best of 47.46.
• Claimed sixth in the 200 Fly (1:45.43) at the USA Winter Nationals.
• Clocked in at 1:48.59 in the 200 Back for a new personal-best at the Ohio State Invite.
• Opened the season with a win in the 200 Fly vs. Kenyon.
As A Sophomore (2016-17)
• Competed at the Big Ten Championships for the Buckeyes.
• Placed second in the 200 Fly three times at the Dual meets against Kenyon, Cleveland State, and Denison.
• Recorded a first place finish in the 200 Fly at the Dual meet against Miami (OH).
• Third place finish in 200 Fly at the Ohio State Invitational.
• Tallied a first place finish in the 200 Fly at the meet against Cincinnati, Oakland, and Kenyon.
• Fourth fastest time for the Buckeyes in the 100 Fly with a time of 46.89.
• Second fastest time for the Buckeyes in the 200 Fly with a time of 1:44.31
Prior to Ohio State
• Swam for Clube Curitibano from 2009 to 2015, coached by Rodrigo Herval Felipe.
• Eight-time member of the Brazilian Age Group National swimming team.
• Seven-time Brazilian National Age Group Champion in the 100m butterfly.
• Three-time Brazilian National Age Group Champion in the 200m butterfly.
• Won the 200m butterfly at the 2015 Junior South American Swimming Championships in Peru.
• Placed sixth in the 100m Butterfly at the 2015 FINA World Junior Swimming Championships in Singapore.
• Placed 17th in the 100m Butterfly at the 2013 FINA World Junior Swimming Championships in Dubai.
• Brazilian national record holder in the 200m butterfly for 16-year olds.
• Son of Eliane Gomes Pereira Painhas and Marcio Villaca Painhas.
• Has one older sister, Barbara.
• Most memorable athletic moment was making his first World Junior swimming team in the 100m butterfly (54.86) at the Winter Junior Brazilian National Championship, held at his home pool in Curitiba/PR, Brazil, in front of all his teammates and family.
• Chose Ohio State because it is a great fit for people seeking high goals, high expectations and a lot fun.
• Considering graduate school; plans on getting a job in the United States upon graduation and starting his own business within the computer science field.
• Favorite hobbies include soccer, watching TV and YouTube videos, hanging out with friends and playing video games.