Honors and Awards
• The Big Ten’s Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year, Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year and Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year.
• Was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy
• Seven-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week and two-time Offensive Player of the Week
Ohio State Overview
• Was named Ohio State’s starting quarterback on Aug. 21, 2021 by head coach Ryan Day following a competition throughout spring practice and training camp
• Led the best offense in the nation this season with Ohio State No. 1 nationally in total offense (561.2 yards per game) and scoring offense (45.7 ppg), and No. 3 in passing offense (380.9 ypg)
• Completed 317-of-441 passes for 4,435 yards with 44 TDs vs. just 6 INTs
• Finished in the top five nationally in passer efficiency rating (2nd, 186.6), touchdown passes (3rd, 44), completion percentage (3rd, 71.9), yards/game (3rd, 369.9) and yards/attempt (2nd, 10.1).
• Set Ohio State single-season records for efficiency rating and completion percentage and was second in passing yards and touchdowns.
• Threw for an Ohio State-record 573 yards and six touchdowns in a 48-45 come-from-behind win over Utah in the Rose Bowl.
• Named Walter Camp National Player of the Week Nov. 21 after a spectacular first half against No. 7 Michigan State when he completed 29 of 31 passes for 393 yards and a school record-tying six touchdowns
• Finalist for the Davey O’Brien national quarterback of the year award
• Semifinalist for Walter Camp Player of the Year and the Maxwell Award
• Became the first Ohio State quarterback to throw five TD passes without an interception in back to back games (vs. Rutgers and Maryland)
• Topped those 10 TDs in consecutive games without an interception by throwing 11 TD passes without an interception vs. nationally ranked Purdue and Michigan State, including a school record-tying six vs. MSU
• Threw five touchdown passes four times against Big Ten competition, an Ohio State record
• Completed 17 consecutive passes vs. Michigan State, a school record
• Entered the 2021 season without a collegiate pass attempt as he appeared in only three games as a true freshman in 2020: vs. Rutgers, vs. Michigan State and vs. Clemson in the CFP Semifinals
More on C.J.
• A five-star prospect who was rated as the nation’s No. 2 pro style quarterback and a top 50 player regardless of position
• Was one of the top performers at the Elite 11 Finals, earning MVP honors
• Had a spectacular senior season for Rancho Cucamonga and head coach Mark Verti, throwing for 3,878 yards and 47 touchdowns in 13 games
• Completed 66 percent of his passes
• Led Rancho Cucamonga to the state semifinals and a 9-4 record
• Amassed 6,221 yards passing as a starter during his junior and season seasons
• Had just 15 interceptions in 754 career pass attempts
• Played in the All-American Bowl on Jan. 4 in San Antonio
• Is the son of Kimberly Stroud