Career Honors | Bests
• CSCAA First Team All-American (200 Free Relay – 2019)
• Second Team All-Big Ten (19)
• Academic All-Big Ten (19)
• Ohio State Scholar-Athlete (18, 19)
• CSCAA Honorable Mention Scholar All-American (18)
• 200 Free Relay – 1:16.36 (2019)
As A Sophomore (2018-19)
• Anchored the seventh-place 200 Free Relay team at the NCAA Championships, clocking in at 1:16.89 and earning First Team All-America honors; also the second leg of the 200 Medley Relay team that finished 25th with a time of 1:25.83.
• Finished sixth in the 50 Free at the Big Ten Championships, clocking in at 19.44 for a personal record and the No. 5 time in program history; also posted a career-best 100 Back time of 47.34 in the prelim before finishing 16th and taking 15th in the 100 Fly after another PR of 47.04 in the preliminary.
• Part of the bronze-medal 200 Medley Relay team at Big Tens, clocking in at 1:24.16 for the No. 2 time in school history; anchored the 200 Free Relay team to a silver-medal finish and school-record time of 1:16.36.
• Took third in the 50 Free (20.29) and the 100 Fly (47.88) at the Shamrock Invitational.
• Claimed a win in the 100 Back vs. Michigan, posting a time of 48.45.
• Placed 12th in the 100 Fly at the Ohio State Inviational with a time of 48.32.
• No. 3 on the team in the 50 Free and in the 100 Back; No. 4 in the 100 Fly.
As A Freshman (2017-18)
• Recorded personal-bests in all three events he competed in at the Big Ten Championships: 100 Back (47.55), 200 Back (1:48.80) and 100 Fly (47.12).
• Took fourth in the 100 Back with a time of 50.15 vs. Alabama.
• Won the 100 Back against Akron and Denison.
• Opened his Buckeye career with a win in the 100 Back vs. Kenyon.
St. Charles High School
• Swam for four years under head coach Geoff Gear.
• Captained both the swimming and water polo teams as a senior.
• All-American and All-Ohio honoree in both swimming and water polo.
• Tabbed as the Most Valuable Player for both swimming and water polo as a senior.
• State record holder on relay set by club team.
• Placed second in the 50 freestyle, 50 backstroke and 100 backstroke at the 2017 NASA Junior National Cup.
• Garnered bronze at the 2017 Ohio State Championships in the 100 freestyle (45.97).
• 2016 Ohio Central District champion in the 50 freestyle with a clocking of 21.65.
• Son of Susan and David Sugar.
• Has three siblings.
• Majoring in business.
• Chose Ohio State because it is the best school in the country for furthering a student-athlete’s athletic and academic goals.
• Most memorable swimming moment was competing at the OHSAA meet.