Follow on Social Media
Ohio State Overview
- Adelaide Aquilla (ADD-uh-laid uh-KWILL-uh) is a United States Olympian.
- Ohio State’s 2021 female athlete of the year qualified for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics for team USA by finishing third in the shot put at the U.S. Olympic Trials in Eugene, Ore., in June.
- Competed at the 2022 World Championships and 2022 USA Championships in the shot put
- Broke the women’s collegiate shot put record to won the 2022 outdoor NCAA Championship (19.64m), breaking her own program record from 2021
- 2022 semifinalist for The Bowerman
- 2022 USTFCCCA Outdoor All-American First Team (shot put)
- 2022 USTFCCCA Indoor All-American First Team (shot put)
- 2022 USTFCCCA Outdoor Regional Female Field Athlete of the Year
- 2022 Big Ten Outdoor and Indoor Female Field Athlete of the Year
- 2022 Big Ten Outdoor and Indoor Champion (shot put)
- 2022 Big Ten Indoor Female Field Athlete of the Championships
- 2022 Big Ten Indoor Sportsmanship Honoree
- 2022 All-Big Ten First Team (outdoor and indoor)
- Broke the program’s indoor shot put record (that she previously set) with a 19.09m throw at the South Carolina Challenge (2/21/22)
- Broke the program’s discus record by throwing for 57.38m at the 2022 Jesse Owens Classic and then again with a 57.86m throw at the 2022 Big Ten Championships
- Her performance at the Olympic Trials crowns a fantastic 2021 season for Aquilla, one in which she won two NCAA championships, won two Big Ten Conference championships, set school indoor and outdoor shot put records and was clearly the No. 1 shot putter among all collegians.
- She successfully defended her 2020 Big Ten indoor shot put title by winning the Big Ten indoor title once again in March 2021.
- She won the first of two national championships in 2021 at the NCAA indoor meet in Fayetteville, Ark., throwing the shot put an indoor school record 18.12m / 59-5 ½ for the win.
- Her efforts earned her the Big Ten’s field athlete of the championships and field athlete of the year honors for the indoor season.
- She was just as outstanding outdoors, winning the Big Ten title with a school- and Big Ten-championships record toss of 19.12m / 62-8 3/4 and then winning the NCAA title with a last throw of 18.98m / 62-3 1/4 to regain the lead and secure her second national title of the year.
- And once again, her efforts earned her the Big Ten’s field athlete of the championships and field athlete of the year honors for the outdoor season.
- 15 days after winning her NCAA outdoor title at the venerable and historic Hayward Field on the University of Oregon’s campus, Aquilla became a U.S. Olympian … on that same Hayward Field.
- A senior academically and a junior athletically in 2021, Aquilla is double majoring in communications and hospitality management.
- She is a three-time first-team All-American in the shot put: 2020 indoors and in 2021 indoors and outdoors. She was second-team outdoors in 2019.
- Set a personal best in the discus in 2021 of 52.40m / 171-11.
- Wearing team USA gear, was given the honor of throwing out the first pitch prior to the Cleveland Indians/Kansas City Royals baseball game at Progressive Field on July 8.
- NCAA runner-up in the shot put (17.95m)
- Finished second as a team at the Big Ten indoor championships
- USTFCCCA National Female Athlete of the Week – Jan. 25
- Big Ten Female Field Athlete of the Week – Jan. 19, Jan. 26, Feb. 2
- Won the shot put four times, including throws further than 19 meters at the Big Ten Midwest Invite (19.08m) and South Carolina Challenge (19.09m)
- Finished 12th as a team at NCAA outdoor championships
- Won the Big Ten outdoor championships as a team, setting a meet record with 185.5 points scored (breaking the previous record of 179 set in 1994)
- Big Ten Female Field Athlete of the Week – March 23
- Undefeated in the shot put, winning at all seven competitions including NCAA and Big Ten Championships
- Broke the Jesse Owens Stadium shot put (18.94m) and discus (57.38m) records at the Jesse Owens Classic, also breaking the school and meet record in the discus
- Also broke the meet record in the shot put (17.88m) at the Arizona State Baldy Castillo Invite, the first meet of the season
- Finished third in the discus (57.86m) at the Big Ten Championships, breaking the program record she set earlier in the season
- Had two wins in the discus – Jesse Owens Classic and the ASU Baldy Castillo Invite (52.82m)
More on Adelaide
• Adelaide was recruited walk-on to the Ohio State program.
• 2016 New Balance Indoor national champion in the shot put with a mark of 43-0.50.
• Took gold at the OHSAA D1 Northeast Districts in shot put with a personal best throw of 45’ 4.
• Placed first in discus at the OHSAA D1 Northeast District
• District record holder (45’07).
• Lettered all four years in track & field under the direction of Kendra Mooney.
• She is the daughter of Tracy and Jared Aquilla.
• Has two younger brothers (Jonas and Ambrose).