COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Buckeyes (12-7) are back in the win column after winning a homerun-filled game against Toledo (9-10), 6-4, on Wednesday.
- The Rockets got on the board first, taking a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning.
- In the bottom of the first, Caden Kaiser led off with a single to left field. With one out on the board, Tyler Pettorini got on base after being hit by a pitch and Cole Andrews was walked to load the bases. Toledo, however, got the next two outs to strand the Buckeye runners.
- A sac fly from the Rockets in the bottom of the second gave them a 2-0 lead over the Buckeyes.
- Ohio State, however, answered in the bottom of the second. Hank Thomas hit a lead-off homerun, his first homer of the season, to cut the Toledo lead in half, 2-1. Josh McAlister was next up to bat and he hit the Buckeyes’ second straight homerun, knocking it over the left field fence to tie the score, 2-2.
- The teams remained tied until the top of the sixth inning, when the Rockets hit a two-run homerun to reclaim the lead, 4-2.
- With one out on the board in the bottom of the sixth, Matthew Graveline doubled to left field and then advanced to third on a groundout. McAlister walked, stole second and advanced to third on a Toledo error and Graveline stole home to leave OSU trailing by one, 4-3.
- In the bottom of the seventh inning, the Buckeyes hit back-to-back homeruns for the second time in the game. Kade Kern went yard first, tying the score, 4-4. Tyler Pettorini stepped up next and hit it out of the park, putting the Buckeyes in the lead for the first time, 5-4.
- Ohio State added one more run in the bottom of the eighth after a single off the bat of Caden Kaiser scored McAlister to put the Buckeyes up by two, 6-4.
- In the top of the ninth, Landon Beidelschies worked out of a jam with two runners on base, closing the inning with two strikeouts and earning the save.
Buckeyes by the Numbers
- McAlister and Kaiser led the team in hits with two each.
- McAlister had a team-high two stolen bases.
- Jaylen Jones and Jameson Campbell each fanned two in appearances out of the bullpen.
- Blayne Robinson (1-0) earned the win. In one scoreless, hitless inning of work, he struck out one and walked one.
- Beidelschies earned the save; he fanned three and allowed one hit and two walks in 1.1 innings pitched.
- The Buckeyes open Big Ten play with a three-game series at Indiana Friday, March 24-Sunday, March 26.