Social-networking site a hub for Ohio State fans
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The official Ohio State University Department of Athletics fan page on Facebook.com topped the 250,000-follower mark this week, continuing a rapid growth from its 2008 inception.
The social-networking page, which went from 20,000 followers to 200,000 in less than a year (Nov. 2008-Oct. 2009), offers fans a connection to all that goes on within Ohio State athletics, including breaking news, photos, video, event promotions and more.
Truly a global hub for Buckeyes everywhere, the site moved from 225,000 fans to 250,000 in roughly two weeks (Feb. 4-18). It is followed in 20 countries and viewed in 20 languages.
Ohio State’s Facebook Fan Growth
- Feb. 18, 2010 – 250,000
- Oct. 30, 2009 – 200,000
- Aug. 14, 2009 – 150,000
- May 11, 2009 – 100,000
- Jan. 16, 2009 – 50,000
- Nov. 7, 2008 – 20,000
More on Ohio State Athletics Social Media
- The Ohio State Facebook page can be accessed by visiting www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com/forthefans page and clicking on the Facebook icon or at www.Facebook.com/buckeyes.
- Fans also can follow Brutus Buckeye on Twitter at www.twitter.com/brutus_buckeye.
- Individual sports at Ohio State also now have their own social network following.
- Women’s Hockey: www.Facebook.com/ohiostatewomenshockey or www.twitter.com/buckeyewhockey
- Men’s Soccer: www.Facebook.com/ohiostatemenssoccer or www.twitter.com/ohiostate_msoc
- Women’s Lacrosse: www.twitter.com/ohiostate_wlax
- Men’s Hockey: www.twitter.com/ohiostatehockey or www.facebook.com/ohiostatemen’shockey
- Men’s Tennis: www.facebook.com/osutennis or www.twitter.com/osutennis
- Wrestling: www.twitter.com/wrestlingbucks
- Ohio State athletics also features its own official channel on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/OhioStateBuckeyescom, where fans can view videos of interviews, feature stories and game highlights.
As always, fans can access the most up-to-date news, scores and schedules, statistics, photos and videos at www.OhioStateBuckeyes.com, the official Web site of Ohio State athletics.