Nov. 11, 2016
Ohio State (1-0, 0-0 B1G), Navy (1-0, 0-0 Patriot)
Nov. 11, 2016
Navy Alumni Hall— Annapolis, MD
- The Buckeyes are 92-22 in season openers and 55-58 in the first true road game of the season
- This matchup marks the 2nd meeting all-time between Ohio State and Navy. The last game played between the two teams was a 35-32 home win for the Midshipmen back in 1932
- Ohio State is 21-3 all-time against teams in the Patriot League
- The Buckeyes are opening their season on the road for the first time during Thad Matta’s tenure
- The Buckeyes are 13-7 all-time in true road games to open the season. Their last, a 73-65 loss to San Francisco on Nov. 21, 2003
- The last time Ohio State won a road game to open a season was Dec. 1, 1971 at Georgia Tech, 63-55
- Micah Potter is the seventh freshman to start his first career game as a Buckeye in the Thad Matta era.
- Previous rookies to start their first career game for Matta were Mike Conley Jr. and David Lighty in 2006, Jon Diebler and Kosta Koufos in 2007, Jared Sullinger in 2010 and D’Angelo Russell in 2014.
- Ohio State shot 57.7 pct. (27-47) from the field, the Buckeyes are now 145-9 in games in which they shoot over 50 pct. from the field.
- Five Buckeyes scored in double digits for the first time since Feb. 16, 2016 against the University of Michigan
- The bench for Ohio State contributed 38 points in the contest, the most since Feb. 4, 2016 against Wisconsin
- Ohio State out rebounded Navy to 33-18 on the defensive glass in the contest, the Buckeyes are now 117-8 when holding opponents under 20 defensive rebounds
- Navy scored 23 points off 17 Ohio State turnovers in the contest
- Matta is 321-108 (.748) during his career at Ohio State and 423-139 (.751) overall as a head coach.
- Thad Matta is 13-0 in season openers at Ohio State and 16-0 all-time as a head coach
- With Matta at the helm Ohio State is 57-9 (.863) in the month of November.
- The Buckeyes are now 267-42 against unranked opponents under Matta
- Williams scored a team high 23 points in his 29 minutes off the bench for the Buckeyes
- Williams tied his career high of 23 points which he set against High Point Dec. 10, 2014
- Loving scored 14 points while adding four rebounds and three assists.
- Loving now has 959 points in his career at Ohio State.
- Loving will become the 53rd Buckeye and 12th in Thad Matta era to reach the milestone
- Bates-Diop posted a double-double with 14 points and 14 rebounds along with three blocks and two assists.
- The double-doubles was the sixth of his career, the last coming Feb. 13, 2016 against Rutgers.
- Thompson recorded 11 points to go with five rebounds and three blocks off the bench for the Buckeyes.
- Tate recorded 10 points while adding two rebounds and two assists in his first regular season game since Feb. 20, 2016.