Nov. 17, 2016
Ohio State 72 (3-0, 0-0 B1G), Providence 67 (1-1, 0-0 Big East)
Nov. 17, 2016
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
* This matchup marks the second meeting between the Buckeyes and the Friars, the Buckeyes are 2-0 against Providence all-time.
* The Buckeyes last meeting against Providence was an 84-83 Buckeyes overtime victory March 15, 1990.
* Ohio State is 65-29 against teams that currently make up the Big East conference.
* The Buckeyes last game against a Big East opponent was Nov. 18, 2014 when they defeated Marquette 74-63.
* The Buckeyes start the season 3-0 for the first time since 2014.
* The Buckeyes held the Friars to 35 percent shooting on the night; the Buckeyes are now 77-2 in contests in which they allow their opponents to 35 percent or less from the floor in the Thad Matta era.
* Providence made 10 3-pointers on the night (10-26); Ohio State is 48-20 in contests when its opponent makes 10 or more three pointers under Thad Matta.
* The Buckeyes forced only three Providence turnovers in the contest; the Buckeyes are now 12-3 in games in which they force six or fewer turnovers.
* Ohio State outscored Providence 42-20 in the paint.
* Thad Matta is 323-108 (.749) during his career at Ohio State and 425-139 (.753) overall as a head coach.
* Matta now is 181-7 (.962) in Columbus vs. unranked opponents, with only four losses to non-conference opponents in his 13 seasons.
* Matta coached teams are 283-17 when leading by 10 or more points at any point in a game.
* When leading with five minutes to go Thad Matta coached teams are now 300-14 and 3-0 this season.
* Matta is 263-29 (.901) all-time when his team leads at half and 3-0 on the season.
* With Matta at the helm, Ohio State is 59-9 (.868) in the month of November.
* The Buckeyes are 269-42 (.865) against unranked opponents under Matta.
* Ohio State is now 204-27 when outrebounding opponents under Matta and 2-0 on the season (43-33).
* Lyle paced the Buckeyes in the scoring column posting 21 points while also dishing out a team-high seven assists and grabbing eight rebounds.
* Lyle recorded his first double-digit scoring game of the season after putting up 20 games of 10 or more points in the 2015-16 season.
* Thompson put up seasons highs in points and rebounds, recording 12 points and nine rebounds coming off the bench for the Buckeyes.
* This is Thompson’s second double-digit scoring performance of the season after dropping 11 points on Navy in the team’s opener Nov. 11.
* Tate scored 14 points while adding six rebounds and one steals in the contest.
* Tate has put up 10+ points in all three games to open the season.
* Loving led the Buckeyes in rebounds, pulling down 10 boards while also chipping in eight points, three assists, and two blocks on the game.
* With eight points, Loving is now 31 points away from the 1,000 point mark for his career at Ohio