March 9, 2014
Ohio State (23-8, 10-8) 69, No. 22 Michigan State (23-8, 12-6) 67
March 9, 2014
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
Attendance: 18,809 (sellout)
Ohio State has clinched a four or five seed in the upcoming Big Ten tournament. With a Wisconsin win over Nebraska, Ohio State will be the No. 4 seed and receive a first round bye. A Nebraska win results in a five seed for the Buckeyes.
• The men’s basketball program honored two senior players and five senior managers prior to the game this afternoon.
• Craft and Smith Jr. have won two Big Ten regular season titles, two Big Ten tournament titles, 117 games and 52 regular season conference games. They have participated in a Final Four, two Elite Eights, and three Sweet Sixteens.
• The duo has combined for 2,260 pts, 1,007 rebounds, 863 assists and 408 steals.
• Ohio State held Michigan State to one field goal over the final 6:27 of the game and the Spartans scoreless over the final 4:30. The Buckeyes outscored MSU 9-2 during the stretch and forced five turnovers.
• Michigan State leads the all-time series with Ohio State 62-55. The Buckeyes own a 35-22 edge in Columbus.
• During the Matta era, Ohio State is 11-10 vs. MSU. The Buckeyes have scored 1,377 pts to 1,373 for MSU. The average game score entering the game today was 65.4-65.3.
• All-time, OSU is 61-19 in Value City Arena sellouts (3-2 this season). The Buckeyes are 50-15 against Big Ten opponents in VCA sellouts.
• All-time, the Buckeyes are 157-241 against AP Top 25 opponents.
• OSU is 83-24 all-time against Big Ten opponents at Value City Arena, 5-5 against Michigan State.
• OSU owns an overall record of 764-680 against current Big Ten members.
• The Buckeyes have held opponents to under 50 percent shooting 29 times this season (Michigan State: 43.6 percent, 24-55).
• Ohio State owned a commanding 34-20 advantage in the paint.
• Ohio State forced 16 MSU turnovers and had a total of 10 steals as a team.
• Matta is 273-81 during his career at Ohio State and 374-112 overall as a head coach.
• In 14 seasons as a head coach, Matta owns an overall record of 143-60 vs. Big Ten members, including a mark of 140-58 while coaching the Buckeyes.
• At the helm of the Ohio State program, Matta is 54-14 in the month of March, a 79.4 winning percentage, fifth-best among active Division I coaches over the last 10 years. He is 56-15 (78.9 percent) in games played in March and April, the fourth-best win percentage for the two-month period among active coaches over the last 10 years.
• Ohio State is 9-1 in senior day games under Matta.
• Led Ohio State with 22 points. He has reached double figures in 13 of his last 15 games.
• The game marked the seventh time he has scored 20 or more points this season.
• Passed 400 career points in conference play (407).
• With four steals, Craft passed Bruce Douglas of Illinois (324) as the all-time career steals leader in Big Ten history with 328. He is 18th on the all-time NCAA career steals list.
• Scored 11 points vs. Michigan State. He has 1,266 points for his career. He needs 17 points to pass former teammate Jared Sullinger (1,282) for 30th.
• Dished seven assists, the third time this season he has had seven or more. He is Ohio State’s all-time assist leader with 673 for his career. He needs two assists to pass Dee Brown of Illinois (674) for sixth on the all-time Big Ten list.
• Scored nine points to reach 600 for his career.
• Recorded three steals to tie a career high.
• Had two steals. He has collected two or more steals 20 times this season.