Feb. 28, 2016
Ohio State 68 (19-11, 11-6 B1G), No. 8 Iowa 64 (20-8, 11-5 B1G)
Feb. 28, 2016
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
- This is the 149th meeting between the Buckeyes and the Hawkeyes. Ohio State is 73-76 in the series, 47-27 in Columbus.
- The last time Ohio State beat Iowa in Columbus was Jan. 22, 2013 as the Buckeyes defeated the Hawkeyes 72-63
- Ohio State is 13-17 all-time vs. ranked Iowa teams and 8-14 when unranked and facing a ranked Iowa opponent.
- The last time an unranked Ohio State team beat a ranked Iowa team was Feb. 4, 2014 as the Buckeyes defeated the No. 17 Hawkeyes 76-69 at Iowa.
- Ohio State is participating in its 104th season as a member of the Big Ten Conference. The Buckeyes have an overall record of 794-699 against the current alignment of the conference.
- Ohio State honored five seniors participating in their last home game as Buckeyes. Jake Lorbach and managers Mark Murray, John Corless, Robbie Rucki and Derek Upp were recognized before the game.
- This is Ohio State’s sixth matchup against an AP Top 10 team this season (Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland (2) and Michigan State). Ohio State is 2-4 in those games.
- The last time an unranked Ohio State team defeated an AP Top 10 team was Dec. 19, 2015 in a 74-67 victory over Kentucky in Brooklyn, New York
- The last time an unranked Ohio State team defeated a Top 10 Big Ten team was in Indianapolis on Mar. 14, 2009 as the Buckeyes won 82-70 over No. 7 Michigan State
- The last time an unranked Ohio State team beat a Top 10 Big Ten team at home was at Matta’s first Senior Day as the Buckeyes beat No. 1 Illinois 65-64 Mar. 6, 2005
- The Buckeyes have an all-time record of 68-127 vs. Associated Press Top 10 teams
- The Hawkeyes were the ninth opponent this season that failed to record a block against the Buckeyes
- The Hawkeyes were 0-7 from three in the first half and finished 3-12 in the game. Over the 12 years with Thad Matta as the head coach, Ohio State is 98-23 when holding opponents to less than five made 3s.
- Ohio State is 55-8 when an opponent fails to block a shot vs. the Buckeyes
- Ohio State led 35-30 at halftime and is now 14-3 this season when entering the second half with a lead. The Buckeyes are 257-29 overall when leading at the half under Matta
- The Buckeyes were outrebounded 35-33 by the Hawkeyes and are now 3-11 this season when failing to record a rebound advantage. Ohio State is 97-75 overall when outrebounding an opponent under Matta
- The Buckeyes won for the first time this season after trailing with five minutes remaining. Ohio State trailed 58-54 with five minutes remaining and are now 1-11 this season in that situation.
- The last time the Buckeyes won after trailing with five minutes remaining was Mar. 14, 2014 as Ohio State defeated Wisconsin 71-67 after trailing by four (58-54) at the five minute mark
- Matta tied Harold “Bud” Foster (WIS 1935-59) for the No. 13 spot in conference history with 143 league wins
- Matta is 318-105 during his career at Ohio State and 420-136 overall as a head coach.
- Matta is 13-7 vs. the Hawkeyes, including a 8-2 home record.
- This is the third time a Matta led Ohio State team has faced a ranked Iowa team, the Buckeyes are 2-1 in those games.
- The Buckeyes are 143-66 in Big Ten regular season play under Matta.
- In 16 seasons as a head coach Matta is 169-76 overall vs. the Big Ten including a mark of 165-73 while coaching the Buckeyes.
- With Matta at the helm Ohio State is 58-29 in the month of February.
- The Buckeyes are 10-2 in their final home game of the season under Matta. Six of those wins have come against ranked teams
- Ohio State is 22-26 against Top 10 teams under Matta. The last time an unranked Buckeye team defeated a Top 10 team was Dec. 19, 2015 in a 74-67 victory over Kentucky in Brooklyn, New York
- This is the 45th time under Matta that Ohio State has been involved in a game where neither team gained a lead of 10 or more points. The Buckeyes are 24-21 in those games.
- Loving recorded 25 points on 7-13 shooting, seven free throws and a season-high four 3s. Loving added three rebounds and two steals.
- Loving’s 25 points matched his second-most for the season and marks the fourth time he has recorded 20 or more points this season.
- Loving has recorded double digit points 21 times this season.
- Bates-Diop scored 19 points to go along with six rebounds, one assist, two steals and a career-high four blocks
- Bates-Diop last recorded four blocks Jan. 25, 2016 vs. Penn State
- Bates-Diop was 8-11 from the field and 3-3 at the free throw line
- Bates-Diop has scored double digit points 21 times this season
- Williams scored 11 of Ohio State’s 18 bench points including a crucial three pointer to put the Buckeyes up 66-62 with 42 seconds remaining
- Mitchel recorded a career-high six points, three field goals, seven rebounds and one block