Box Score | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
RALEIGH, N.C. – The Ohio State softball team was edged by RV Notre Dame on Sunday afternoon, 6-4, to close the 2020 Big Ten/ACC Challenge at Dail Stadium. The Buckeyes drop to 3-5 on the season while the Fighting Irish improve to 7-2 overall.
- Notre Dame went up 5-0 in the bottom of the first on a solo home run, throwing error, two-RBI double and groundout.
- Leading off the second inning, Avery Clark crushed a home run over left center, her third of the season.
- Meg Otte made the catch in center field and threw a laser down to Claire Nicholson at the plate for a double play to close the second.
- Ohio State cut the deficit to 5-4 in the top of the third. Facing two outs, Kaitlyn Coffman roped an RBI double to right center. Up next, Clark knocked a two-run homer over the fence in left field.
- A solo dinger by Joley Mitchell in the fifth gave the Fighting Irish a 6-4 advantage.
IN THE CIRCLE
RHP Jessica Ross (1-2) was tagged with the loss after 0.1 innings of work. She gave up five runs (three earned) on four hits. Payton Buresch pitched 5.2 innings of relief, in which she allowed five hits and one run with one strikeout.
- Avery Clark hit back-to-back home runs in consecutive at-bats in the second and third innings, the first Buckeye since April 21, 2019 to do so.
- Clark is the first freshman since May 18, 2019 to have two homers in a game.
- Meg Otte had two hits, including a double, and one run.
- Kaitlyn Coffman and Claire Nicholson both earned one hit apiece.
Ohio State heads to the West Coast for the Fresno State Invitational Feb. 21-23.