April 2, 2006
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team (10-7; 2-2 Big Ten) bounced back from a Big Ten conference loss to Purdue Saturday by beating Illinois Sunday, 5-2, in league action. The match was held at the Atkins Tennis Center in Champaign, Ill.
The Buckeyes swept the doubles matches to earn the doubles point. At No. 1, the tandem of Caitlin O’Keefe (So., Troy, Mich./Troy) and Julie Blackmore (Fr., Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Cardinal Gibbons) defeated Macall Harkins and Brianna Knue, 8-4. At No. 2, Angela DiPastina (Fr., Titusville, N.J.) and Sonia Ruzimovsky (Jr., Brooklyn N.Y./Brooklyn Tech) downed Shivani Dave and Emily Wang by the score of 8-6. Ciara Finucane (Jr., Dublin, Ireland/Georgia Southern) and Kristin Messmer (Jr., Lutherville, Md./McDonogh) defeated Alejandra Meza Cuadra and Momei Qu, 8-2, at the No. 3 spot.
In singles at No. 1, Ruzimovsky was defeated by Harkins, 6-1, 6-3. At No. 2, O’Keefe defeated Qu, 6-4, 7-5. Blackmore defeated Knue, 6-0, 6-4, at No. 3. At No. 4, Finucane was downed by Wanh by the score of 6-2, 6-1. At No. 5, Messmer lost in a super-tie breaker to Dave, 4-6, 7-5 1-0 (7). At No. 6, DiPastina defeated Meza Cuadra, 6-2, 6-0.
The Buckeyes will be back in action when they return home Wednesday to host Xavier at 3 p.m. and Ohio Northern at 7:30 p.m. Both matches will be held at Jesse Owens West Recreation Center in Columbus.
Ohio State 5, Illinois 2
April 2, 2006
Atkins Tennis Center
1. O’Keefe/Blackmore (OSU) def. Harkins/Knue (ILL), 8-4
2. DiPastina/Ruzimovsky (OSU) def. Dave/Wang (ILL), 8-6
3. Finucane/Messmer (OSU) def. Meza Cuadra/Qu (ILL), 8-2
1. Macall Harkins (ILL) def. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) def. Momei Qu (ILL), 6-4, 7-5
3. Julie Blackmore (OSU) def. Brianna Knue (ILL), 6-0, 6-4
4. Ciara Finucane (OSU) def. Emily Wang (ILL), 6-2, 6-1
5. Shivani Dave (ILL) def. Kristin Messmer (OSU), 4-6,7-5, 1-0(7)
6. Angela DiPastina OSU) def. Alejandra Meza Cuadra (ILL), 6-2, 6-0