PITTSBURGH, Pa. – Emily Clark’s go-ahead two-run homer in the ninth inning propelled Ohio State to a 5-2 win over Pittsburgh on Wednesday night at Vartabedian Field. The Buckeyes move to 21-10 on the year while the Panthers fall to 5-29.
- After a scoreless back-and-forth battle, Ohio State went up 1-0 in the top of the fourth inning.
- Summer Constable entered the game as a pinch runner and quickly stole second base. Taking over Claire Nicholson’s at-bat, pinch hitter Andi Farrah swung on the first pitch for a RBI double down the left field line.
- The Buckeyes added a run in the fifth when Kaitlyn Coffman connected on her sixth homer of the season.
- Pitt tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom on the sixth behind a two-run homer by Gabrielle Fredericks.
- RHP Lauren Rice took over in the circle with two outs in the sixth. With her at the helm, Ohio State retired six straight Panthers through the seventh and eighth innings.
- Clark broke the game open in the ninth. Piper drew a walk and stole second to get ready for Clark, who crushed a two-run dinger that put the Buckeyes ahead 4-2.
- Facing two outs and trailing 1-2 in the count, Ashley Prange homered down the left field line, pushing the lead to 5-2.
IN THE CIRCLE
- Rice picked up her 12th win of the season after pitching 3.1 innings of relief. She gave up two hits but did not allow the Panthers to score.
- Morgan Ray started the contest, tossing 5.2 innings of three-hit, two-run, five-strikeout ball.
- Ohio State extended its win streak to three games.
- The Buckeyes improved to 15-4 all-time against the Panthers.
- Ohio State tallied six hits for extra bases with three doubles and three home runs.
- The Buckeyes had a season-high 27 putouts and 17 assists.
- Meg Otte connected on a career-high three hits.
- Prange posted a career-best three hits and was just shy of hitting for the cycle with a single, double and home run. She also had a 1.750 slugging percentage.
- Covering first base, Megan McMenemy earned a career-high 15 putouts.
Ohio State heads back to Columbus to host Rutgers in a Big Ten series this weekend Apr. 5-7 at Buckeye Field.