COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s soccer team hosts No. 19 Wisconsin in its regular-season finale at 2 p.m. Sunday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.
Fans can follow live stats and streaming video on the schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioStateWSOC. The match will be televised live on BTN.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Behind a pair of goals from Kayla Fischer and six saves by Devon Kerr, Ohio State topped Purdue, 2-0, Thursday night at Folk Field in West Lafayette. Fischer opened the scoring in the fifth minute and, after Purdue knotted the score in the 50th minute, tallied the game-winner in the 66th as the Buckeyes clinched a spot in the 2018 Big Ten Tournament.
— Ohio State on BTN (@OhioStateOnBTN) October 19, 2018
RODRIGUEZ EARNS ANOTHER B1G HONOR
Izzy Rodriguez earned her second-consecutive conference weekly award, garnering Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week honors, the conference office announced Oct. 2. The award is the third-career Big Ten weekly honor for Rodriguez. The sophomore scored twice and assisted on another as the Buckeyes went 1-0-1 against Iowa and Nebraska.
Izzy Rodriguez – Offensive Player of the Week (10/2)
Devon Kerr – Goalkeeper of the Week (9/25)
Izzy Rodriguez – Defensive Player of the Week (9/25)
Emaly Vatne – Freshman of the Week (9/4)
Kayla Fischer – Offensive Player of the Week (8/28)
Kayla Fischer – Freshman of the Week (8/28)
SOME MORE NOTES
– Ohio State is 41-1-2 when scoring at least two goals in a game since the start of 2014, including 4-0-0 in 2018 and 11-0-0 a season ago. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 in 2015 and 10-1-1 in 2016.
– Ohio State is 8-0-0 on the year when scoring first after it went 15-1-0 when scoring first last season and 10-0-1 in 2016.
– Ohio State has played in four overtime matches in 2018, going 1-0-3. The Buckeyes were 3-1-1 in overtime contests in 2017 and are 9-2-10 in overtime matches since the start of the 2015 season.
– Devon Kerr’s nine shutouts last season tied her with Emily Haynam and Amber Barnes for second on the Buckeyes’ single-season shutout list. Kerr also sits third on the Ohio State career clean sheet list with 18.
– Kerr sits tied for 26th nationally and tied for third in the Big Ten with seven clean sheets in 2018. The senior is tied for the conference lead with five shutouts in Big Ten play.
– As a team, Ohio State is fourth in the Big Ten, allowing just seven goals in 10 conference contests. Izzy Rodriguez is tied for sixth in the Big Ten with four goals in conference play.
– Kayla Fischer became the first Buckeye freshman to score the team’s first goal of the season since Lisa Collison did so in a 2-0 win over Xavier in 2005.
– In the win over No. 5 Florida, the Buckeyes knocked off their highest-ranked opponent since a 2-0 victory over No. 3 Penn State in the 2004 Big Ten Tournament championship game.
– The eight goals scored by the Buckeyes against Morehead State tied for the third-most in a single game in program history. Ohio State also scored eight goals in an 8-1 win over Xavier in 2004. The highest scoring outputs in Ohio State history:
14 vs. Robert Morris (10/12/95)
9 at Valparaiso (11/2/96)
8 vs. Xavier (9/2/04)
8 vs. Morehead State (8/30/18)
7 vs. Youngstown State (9/21/03)
7 vs. Illinois (9/14/17)
– Emaly Vatne’s hat trick vs. Morehead State was the 15th in Ohio State history and the first since Lindsay Agnew scored three times in a 3-0 win over Iowa Sept. 25, 2016. Vatne becomes the third freshman in program history to notch a hat trick, joining Sammy Edwards in 2014 and Nichelle Prince in 2013, and her seven points against the Eagles were the second-most in a single game in Ohio State history. Lisa Suttmiller notched eight on three goals and two assists at Valparaiso in 1996.
Wisconsin enters the week ranked 19th in the United Soccer Coaches poll. The Badgers, 12-2-3 overall and 6-1-3 in the Big Ten, are led offensively by Lauren Rice (7g, 2a) and Cameron Murtha (3g, 4a). Jordyn Bloomer has played every minute in goal, posting a 0.78 goals-against average with seven shutouts.
Ohio State is 10-10-7 all-time against Wisconsin, last playing to a 2-2 draw against the Badgers in Madison in 2016.
Ohio State opens Big Ten Tournament play at a to be determined campus site next weekend. The Buckeyes will learn their seeding in the tournament following the Michigan State/Nebraska rescheduled contest slated for Wednesday afternoon in Lincoln.