COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State baseball team begins to wrap up the 2018 home schedule with a two-game midweek series against Campbell Tuesday-Wednesday at Nick Swisher Field at Bill Davis Stadium. Game one is set for 6:35 p.m. Tuesday and the final game will be played at 3:05 p.m. Wednesday. The Buckeyes (30-15, 11-7 B1G) return to Columbus after winning a road series at Illinois last weekend. The series vs. the Fighting Camels (26-19, 17-4 Big South) marks the first time Campbell has traveled to Columbus.
Tuesday: LHP Griffan Smith (2-1, 3.52 ERA) vs. TBA
Wednesday: RHP Jake Vance (3-1, 3.90 ERA) vs. TBA
FOLLOW THE ACTION
Live stats links can be found by going to the schedule page of Ohio State Baseball on OhioStateBuckeyes.com. Fans can also follow the action on Twitter via @OhioState_BASE. Both games will be streamed on BTN Plus ($). There will be no radio broadcast for the midweek series.
— Ohio State Baseball (@OhioState_BASE) May 6, 2018
BUCKEYES IN A NUTSHELL
– Ohio State is 30-15 overall and 11-7 in Big Ten play with two weeks to go in the regular season.
– The team is 13-5 at home in 2018. The Buckeyes jumped 18 spots in the RPI and sit at No. 30 as of Monday.
– Ohio State hit the 30-win mark for the sixth time under eighth-year head coach Greg Beals.
– Last time out, the Buckeyes took two of three games at Illinois over the weekend. Noah West batted .500 with a double, five RBI and two runs scored. Jacob Barnwell also had five hits and Kobie Foppe had four hits with five RBI. Seth Kinker claimed two saves over the weekend.
– Ohio State is 3-1 all-time vs. Campbell. Last year, the Scarlet and Gray won two of three games on the road in Buies Creek, N.C.
– The Buckeyes are hitting .290 as a team, which is second in the Big Ten. The staff has struck out 356 hitters in 403.1 innings of work.
– Kinker is leading the Big Ten and seventh nationally in ERA (1.32). He is one appearance shy of tying the program record for career appearances (currently with 101).
– Senior Noah McGowan is leading the team in batting (.381), hits (67), doubles (18), home runs (8), RBI (50), slugging (.631) and on-base percentage (.458).
– Dominic Canzone has a team-high 42 runs scored and also has recorded 65 hits with 12 doubles and four home runs.
– Griffan Smith is making his second start of his career on Tuesday, while Jake Vance will start for the sixth time this season on Wednesday.
– The team had 26 OSU Scholar-Athletes for the 2017-18 academic year.
– The Big Ten Tournament is set for May 23-27 at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Neb. The top eight teams in the conference will battle for the tournament crown. Ohio State won the 2016 tournament last time it was held in Omaha.
Seth Kinker is one of 10 finalists for the 2018 Senior CLASS Award, the organization announced two weeks ago. Kinker, who has made 101 career appearances and leads the Big Ten in ERA at 1.31, is majoring in sport industry. He is from Huntington, W. Va., and Cabell-Midland High School. Fans can vote for Seth Kinker on the award’s official website at www.seniorclassaward.com through May 28. Fan votes will be combined with media and Division I head coaches’ votes to determine the winner. This year’s Senior CLASS Award winner will be announced during the 2018 College World Series® in June.
OHIO STATE AS OF LATE
The team is 10-5 in the last 15 games. The team is hitting .267 with 24 doubles, three home runs and seven RBI. Kobie Foppe is batting .333 (16-for-48) with 10 runs scored, one double, one triple and 11 RBI. Seth Kinker is 2-0 with a 0.89 ERA with 10 strikeouts in 20.1 innings pitched.
Griffan Smith is making his first collegiate start at Bill Davis Stadium on Tuesday vs. the Camels. He is 2-1 with a 3.52 ERA and 15 strikeouts in 23.0 innings of work. He claimed his first collegiate win on the road at UNC-Willington. In a controlled start, he threw 3.2 innings and scattered six hits on two runs, one earned, with two strikeouts and one walk. Jake Vance is 3-1 with a 3.90 ERA in his second year as a Buckeye. Vance is 2-0 with 18 strikeouts in 17.2 innings at Bill Davis Stadium.
SCOUTING THE CAMELS
Campbell travels to Columbus with a 26-19 overall record. The team is first in the Big South standings with a 17-4 league record. The Camels won a home series over High Point last weekend. Campbell is hitting .247 with 63 doubles and 37 home runs. The Camels are 71-for-85 in stolen bases. The pitching staff has a 4.39 ERA with 418 strikeouts in 404.0 IP. Matthew Barefoot is batting .323 with 12 doubles and 20 RBI. He is 24-for-27 in stolen bases.
Ohio State moved up 18 spots to No. 30 in the latest NCAA RPI rankings, which were released on Wednesday. The Buckeyes are the third-highest ranked team in the Big Ten. Ohio State has six wins over Top 50 RPI teams.
BIG TEN TOURNAMENT TICKETS ON SALE NOW
Tickets for the 2018 Big Ten Tournament May 23-27 at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Neb., are on sale now. Tickets for the tournament can be purchased at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha starting one and a half hours prior to the start of the first game each day. Tickets are now on sale for all-session tickets, single-game tickets and group tickets. Please call the MECA Box Office (800-745-3000) or visit Ticketmaster at www.ticketmaster.com.
Ohio State concludes the 2018 home schedule with Purdue Friday-Sunday. The Big Ten series vs. the Boilermakers marks the fourth straight week the Buckeyes will battle a Top 5 league opponent. Friday is First Responders Night with postgame fireworks. The middle game Saturday will be Alumni Day and Senior Day is set for Sunday at Bill Davis Stadium.