Ohio State (4-1) 90, VMI (2-3) 57
St. John Arena
Nov. 25, 2007
- With the 90-57 win over VMI, Ohio State improves to 2-0 in the series record. The Buckeyes beat the Keydets, 107-69, in their first meeting last year in the season opener (Nov. 10).
- Head coach Thad Matta holds a record of 53-3 in Columbus is 2-0 in St. John Arena. He owns a 50-3 mark at VCA in four years, including a school-record 18-0 campaign in 2006-07.
- At the helm of the Buckeyes, Matta is 36-5 in regular-season nonconference games. Ohio State owns a record of 6-0 all-time against the teams from the Big South Conference. The Buckeyes hold 1-0 records vs. Coastal Carolina and North Carolina Asheville and 2-0 marks against VMI and Radford.
- With a triple at 3:06 remaining in the first half, Jamar Butler moved into first on the all-time 3-point field goals made career list with 154 treys to give the Buckeyes a 34-25 lead. The senior stands atop the all-time career list with 157 3-pointers, passing Brent Darby (2000-03) and Scoonie Penn (1999-2000) who are now second with 153. Currently, the Lima, Ohio, native is fifth in career 3-point field goals attempted with 416 and eighth in career 3-point shooting percentage (157-416).
- Butler dished out four assists in the contest for a career total of 384, good for seventh on the all-time career list. The senior is only17 helpers behind No. 6 Larry Bolden (1974-77) on the career assist chart. During his tenure at Ohio State, the Buckeyes are 40-7 when Butler has four or more assists.
After being tied 8-8 at 15:43, sophomore David Lighty separated Ohio State and VMI with 7-0 run starting at 15:09 to put the Buckeyes ahead, 15-8, in the first.
- As a team, Ohio State shot 58.1 percent (18-31) from the field in the first half while limiting VMI to 28.2 percent shooting (11-39).
- The Buckeyes dominated the painted area out-scoring the Keydets, 43-14, and out-rebounding VMI 55-31. Ohio State posted 19 offensive boards leading to 23 second chance points while holding the Keydets to just seven second chance points.
- The Buckeyes had five players in double figures led by freshman Kosta Koufos (22). Jamar Butler (12) David Lighty (11) Even Turner (10) and Matt Terwilliger (10) also ended up in double digits.
- Scoring 12 points and grabbing 11 boards in the first half, freshman Koufos recorded his first-career double-double. The Canton, Ohio, native ended the evening with 22 points and a career-high 14 rebounds. Koufos’ double-double is just the second for a Buckeye this season. Jamar Butler recorded the first against Wisconsin-Green Bay, Nov. 12.
- Koufos and Butler have scored 10 or more points in all five of Ohio State’s games this season. Koufos led the Buckeyes in scoring in the first half with 12 points after recording an 8-3 run starting at 10:41.
- Freshman Evan Turner scored a career-best 10 points and seven boards in 21 minutes in the win over VMI.
- Ohio State has held its opponents to 70 or fewer points in 35 of its last 43 games, winning all contests.
- The Buckeyes have won 36 of their last 38 games when leading at halftime and is 73-8 when leading at the halfway mark under Matta.