BLACKSBURG, Va. – The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams defeated Virginia Tech to open the 2022-23 season. The No. 12 men defeated the No. 11 Hokies, 187.5-165.5. The No. 5 women dominated No. 24 Virginia Tech, downing the Hokies, 231.5-121.5.
Men’s Meet Notes
- Ohio State placed first in the 200 medley relay, with the team of Alex Quach, Karl Helmuth, James Ward and Ruslan Gaziev swimming the event in 1:27.30.
- Jonathan Edwards placed fourth in the 400 IM with a time of 3:57.53.
- Gaziev’s time of 1:37.22 in the 200 free earned him a tie for first place.
- Quach placed second in the 100 fly with an NCAA B cut time of 46.63. Chachi Gustafson finished third (48.36) and Jean-Pierre Khouzam placed fourth (48.68).
- Bill Regan finished fourth in the 200 breast with a time of 2:03.05.
- Thomas Watkins placed first in the 100 back, finishing in 47.68.
- Ward finished second in the 50 free with a time of 20.05. Daniel Baltes placed third with a time of 20.59.
- The Buckeyes took the top four spots in the 1000 free; Charlie Clark placed first (9:02.58) with a 17-second lead over the second-place finisher. Fabio Dalu finished second (9:19.22), Alex Axon placed third (9:25.52) and Jonathan Edwards finished fourth (9:26.64).
- Jack Matthews won the 1-meter dive with a score of 380.63. Jacob Fielding (369.08) and Lyle Yost (352.85) placed second and third, respectively. All three scores are NCAA Zones qualifying scores.
- The relay team of Quach, Ward, Shaw Satterfield and Gaziev won the 400 free relay with a time of 2:52.84.
Women’s Meet Notes
- The relay team of Nyah Funderburke, Josephine Panitz, Katherine Zenick and Amy Fulmer earned a win in the 200 medley relay, finishing in 1:39.21.
- The Buckeyes took the top four spots in the 400 IM. Felicia Pasadyn placed first with an NCAA B cut time of 4:17.10 and had a seven-second lead on the second-place finisher. Kyra Sommerstad took second (4:24.77), Jessica Eden placed third (4:25.97) and Mia Rankin finished fourth (4:28.55).
- Fulmer won the 200 free, finishing in 1:47.55. Allie Fenska placed second in the event with a time of 1:49.27.
- The Buckeyes had the top-three finishers in the 100 fly. Tristan Harrison won the event with a time of 54.54. Morgan Kraus (54.58) and Aislinn Walsh (54.68) placed second and third, respectively.
- Josephine Panitz won the 200 breast with a time of 2:14.98. Dehen placed second (2:19.48), Leah Baker finished third (2:20.24) and Olena Sadovska finished fourth (2:27.05).
- Pasadyn took second in the 100 back with a time of 55.19. Harrison finished third (55.68), Funderburke placed fourth (56.06) and Kraus finished fifth (56.23).
- Zenick finished second in the 50 free (23.04) and Teresa Ivan placed third (23.11).
- Maya Geringer (10:08.54), Gwen Woodbury (10:15.93) and Lucy Malys (10:16.10) placed first, second and third in the 1000 free.
- Mackenzie Crawford finished third in the 3-meter dive with an NCAA Zones qualifying score of 286.28.
- The relay team of Fulmer, Ivan, Pasadyn and Zenick placed second in the 400 free relay with a time of 3:18.72.
- The women are back in action Friday, Nov. 4 when they host Akron. Both teams host Denison at McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion on Nov. 11.