Oct. 26, 2014

Columbus, Ohio
Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium
Ohio State 3 (6-9-3, 3-6-3 Big Ten), Nebraska 1 (7-9-2, 3-7-2 Big Ten)
Attendance: 646

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Behind three goals in the final 15 minutes, the Ohio State women’s soccer team defeated Nebraska, 3-1, Sunday afternoon at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. With the win, the Buckeyes improve to 6-9-3 overall, 3-6-3 in Big Ten play, while the Huskers fall to 7-9-2, 3-7-2 in conference play.

“If anybody has received the best training in adversity this season, it would be our squad,” Lori Walker, Ohio State head coach, said. “We got down and we got right back up today so I’m very pleased with how we responded. We were playing against a very athletic Nebraska team so it’s a credit to our fitness and energy to push numbers forward and not get countered.”

The Buckeyes had a chance in the 28th minute when Nichelle Prince played a through ball to Kayla Varner who fired a shot from 12 yards on the right wing but Nebraska goalkeeper Kelly Schatz ranged to her right to make the diving save to keep the match scoreless.

Nebraska’s best opportunity came in the 36th minute when Katie Kraeutner drilled a free kick from just outside the box that sailed over the crossbar as the match headed into the half scoreless.

Ohio State held a 4-1 lead in shots, 2-0 on goal over the first 45 minutes.

The Huskers then took the lead in the 57th minute when Jaylyn Odermann played a cross toward the center of the box from the right wing and Mayme Conroy headed the ball just inside the far post for the 1-0 advantage.

Nikki Walts almost answered back in the 64th minute but her shot from just outside the top of the box narrowly sailed over the crossbar.

The Buckeyes had another opportunity in the 70th minute when Varner crossed from the left wing to an open Sydney Dudley in the middle of the box but Schatz again came up with the save on the left-footed strike from eight yards.

Ohio State knotted the match at 1-1 in the 76th minute when Prince played a cross on the ground through the box and Sammy Edwards was there on the far post to finish from eight yards for her team-high sixth goal of the season.

The Buckeyes almost took the lead five minutes later when a failed clearance led to an open net for Prince but the left-footed strike from the top of the box narrowly drifted wide right.

However, Nikki Walts scored the game-winner for the Buckeyes in the 87th minute when her shot from 20 yards off a Varner corner deflected off a Nebraska defender and past Schatz for the 2-1 Ohio State lead.

Prince then capped it with less than a minute remaining when she tracked down a Nicole Miyashiro long ball and finished into an empty goal to cap the scoring at 3-1.

For the game, Ohio State held a 25-7 lead,  in shots, 8-4 on goal.

Ohio State hosts Rutgers on Senior Day at 7 p.m. Friday.