Feb. 7, 2016
COLUMBUS, Ohio –
The Buckeyes continued their spectacular start to the season by holding strong against the No. 19 Hokies, winning 4-0 on Sunday afternoon at the VTC.
Ohio State is the only program from a Power 5 conference that has yet to surrender a point in 2016. The Buckeyes are a perfect 8-0 on the year with eight 4-0 sweeps.
In doubles matches, the Buckeyes got off to a quick start. Two closely-ranked doubles teams competed on Court 1. Ohio State’s No. 22 Ralf Steinbach and Martin Joyce defeated Virginia Tech’s No. 21 Andreas Bjerrehus and Joao Monteiro 6-3. On Court 2, the Buckeyes rolled the Hokies as Mikael Torpegaard and Herkko Pollanen defeated Edoardo Tessaro and Amerigo Contini 6-2. The match on Court 3 was also going in favor of the Buckeyes as Chris Diaz and Hugo Di Feo were at match point up 5-2 when the point was secured.
Steinbach started the Buckeyes’ rolling in doubles and continued his quality singles play this season by defeating Jai Corbett 6-1, 6-4. Now 10-2 in singles for the year, Steinbach has yet to drop a set in singles action this spring and is a perfect 6-0. Torpegaard continued his impressive season by winning his 12th match of the year and now has a team-best 12-2 record. The Denmark native defeated No. 14 Monteiro 6-3, 6-2.
In dramatic fashion, Chris Diaz clinched the match for the Buckeyes with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) win over Bjerrehus. The second set was a back and forth battle with each player trading breaks. But Diaz, playing for the first time this spring at No. 2, jumped out to a 5-2 lead in the tie-breaker and held on for the win.
The Buckeyes now head to Charlottesville, Va. to compete for the ITA National Team Indoor Championship. Ohio State will open play on Thursday, Feb. 11. Draws for the event will be announced later this week. The Buckeyes’ next home match will be on Feb. 19, when they face No. 3 Texas A&M.
#8 Ohio State 4, #19 Virginia Tech 0
1. #7 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. #14 Joao Monteiro (VT) 6-3, 6-2
2. #19 Chris Diaz (OSU) def. Andreas Bjerrehus (VT) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
3. #10 Hugo Di Feo (OSU) vs. Amerigo Contini (VT) 5-7, 4-5, unfinished
4. #25 Herkko Pollanen (OSU) vs. #46 Edoardo Tessaro (VT) 4-6, 6-6, unfinished
5. Ralf Steinbach (OSU) def. Jai Corbett (VT) 6-1, 6-4
6. Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Mitch Harper (VT) 6-7 (2-7), 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
1. #22 Ralf Steinbach/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. #21 Andreas Bjerrehus/Joao Monteiro (VT) 6-3
2. #24 Mikael Torpegaard/Herkko Pollanen (OSU) def. Edoardo Tessaro/Amerigo Contini (VT) 6-2
3. Hugo Di Feo/Chris Diaz (OSU) vs. Jai Corbett/Mitch Harper (VT) 5-2, unfinished
Virginia Tech 4-2; National ranking #19
Ohio State 8-0; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,1,2)
Official: Marcus Lee T-2:16 A-261