UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Ohio State (24-12, 8-3 B1G) split a doubleheader at Penn State (20-21, 4-7 B1G) on Tuesday night in a conference matchup on the Big Ten Network. The Buckeyes dropped the opener, 6-4, before they bounced back in the nightcap for a 12-1 five-inning win.
GAME 1: Penn State 6, Ohio State 4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Ohio State stacked the bags in the opening frame on a walk, single and PSU error. A fielding miscue by the second baseman put the Buckeyes up 1-0 as Bri Betschel came in.
- Betschel wrapped a two-out double in the top of the second to set up Lilli Piper, who dropped an RBI single in center field.
- Penn State joined the scoring in the third and took a 4-2 lead on a pair of OSU fielding errors and a two-RBI single by Destiny Weber.
- Ashley Prange recorded her second straight game with a home run on a solo dinger in the sixth, cutting the deficit to one.
- The Nittany Lions responded with two runs in the home half behind a Buckeye error and RBI single from Chelsea Bisi.
- Betschel got on base in the seventh on an error by the second baseman before Piper singled to left center. Up next, Emily Clark drove in a run on a single to right center for the final 6-4 tally.
- Righty Morgan Ray (9-6) was charged with the loss after 5.1 innings of work. She let in six runs (two earned) on six hits and recorded four strikeouts.
- Kat Duvall pitched 0.2 innings of relief.
GAME 2: Ohio State 12, Penn State 1 (5)
- Emily Clark walked and Kallie Boren pushed her over to third on a single before advancing to second on the throw. Ashley Prange reached on an error by the shortstop, sending Clark across home plate for a 1-0 edge.
- Kaitlyn Coffman built on the lead in the top of the second on a solo home run over the right field wall.
- Ohio State erupted for nine runs on 10 hits in the third inning for a commanding 11-0 advantage. Back-to-back singles by Boren and Prange got the offense going before Niki Carver swung on the first pitch to bring a run in. Two batters later, Claire Nicholson laid down a squeeze bunt and the first baseman missed the bag on the tag for a RBI single. A pair of wild pitches added two more runs.
- The hits kept coming as Betschel powered a triple, her first of the season, down the right field line. Piper brought her in with a RBI single. Clark’s single and Boren’s walk loaded up the bases for a two-RBI single by Prange. Carver pushed the ball up the middle to plate Boren while Prange was ruled safe at home plate on an obstruction call.
- Penn State put a run on the board thanks to a RBI single by Chelsea Bisi in the third.
- After a scoreless fourth, Carver teed off on a solo home run over left field in the fifth.
IN THE CIRCLE
RHP Lauren Rice posted her 14th win after giving up six hits and one run in five innings. She also struck out a pair of Nittany Lions.
- Ohio State connected on a season-high 18 hits and batted .529 in the second game.
- The Buckeyes were 8-for-14 (.571) with two outs and 7-for-16 (.438) with runners in scoring position.
- Ohio State’s leadoff hitters were a perfect 5-for-5.
- Niki Carver tallied three hits, two runs and drove in a career-high four runs.
- Lilli Piper was 3-for-4 with one run and an RBI.
- Ashley Prange totaled two RBI, two runs and two hits.
- Bri Betschel, Kallie Boren, Kaitlyn Coffman and Claire Nicholson had two hits apiece.
Ohio State returns to Buckeye Field for a three-game series against No. 21 Michigan. Friday’s game will air live on ESPNU at 6 p.m.