Box Score| Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | 2020 Schedule | 2020 Roster | Big Ten Lacrosse | Women’s Homepage
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s lacrosse team traveled to Milwaukee, Wis. to take on the Marquette Golden Eagles Saturday and came away with a 16-14 victory to improve its record to 5-3 on the season for first-year coach Amy Bokker.
THE SHORT STORY
The Buckeyes had goals from seven different players against Marquette. Liza Hernandez and Nicole Ferrara led the way with four goals apiece, while Ali Beekhuizen, Sophie Baez and Ashley Turner each scored two goals for the Buckeyes. Also adding to the scoring column was Caly O’Brien and Maura McGregor with one goal each. Jill Rizzo made seventeen saves in goal and lead the team in ground balls with eight. Ohio State edged Marquette in ground balls, 22-18, as well as draw controls, 17-15.
HOW THE GOALS WERE SCORED
- Marquette started the first period with two goals in the first five minutes of the game to lead 2-0. Sophie Baez answered with the Buckeyes first goal shortly after to make the score 2-1.
- Ohio State then went on a 7-0 run to take a 7-2 lead with Liza Hernandez scoring three of her goals and Nicole Ferrara adding two. Sophie Baez got the Buckeyes on the board first, scoring less than a minute after Marquette had taken its 2-0 lead.
- The Buckeyes never looked back after that seven-goal outburst and ended the first half with a 12-7 lead.
- After Marquette got to within 12-8 early in the second half, Ohio State went on a 3-0 scoring run to extend the lead to 15-8 off goals by Liza Hernandez, Ali Beekhuizen and Nicole Ferrara.
- Marquette answered with its own 5-0 run to close the gap to 15-13 with 13:44 remaining in the game.
- Maura McGregor extended the Buckeye lead to 16-13 at the 6:34 mark and Ohio State was able to withstand the final six minutes by allowing just one more goal.
MORE GAME NOTES
- Liza Hernandez has increased her team lead in goals to 18 with her third game of at least three or more goals this season. Her first two came in games against No. 2 Notre Dame and Cincinnati.
- Hernandez leads the team with 21 points on the season while Sophie Baez is second with 20 points.
- Freshman Nicole Ferrara’s four-goal game was a career-high and increased her season total to 12 goals.
- Senior goalkeeper, Jill Rizzo scooped up eight ground balls and increased her season-high total to 27 ground balls on the season.
- Freshman Ashley Turner had a team-high three assists in the game has tied Baez for the team lead with six assists this season.
JUST THE STATS
Shots: Marquette 37, Ohio State 33
Ground Balls: Ohio State 22, Marquette 18
Draw Controls: Ohio State 17, Marquette 15
Clears: Ohio State 19-24, Marquette 16-21
Free Position Shots: Ohio State 3-7, Marquette 2-6
Saves: Ohio State 17, Marquette 12
Fouls: Ohio State 25, Marquette 20
Turnovers: Ohio State 20, Marquette 14
The Buckeyes will travel to Towson, Md. to face Towson University Tuesday, March 9 at 7:00 p.m.