March 11, 2014

Midwest Regional Results

COLUMBUS, Ohio- The Ohio State fencing team qualified the maximum number of fencers, 12, to compete in the 2014 NCAA Championships, hosted at French Field House in Columbus, Ohio, March 20-23. Ohio State joins Penn State and Princeton as the only teams that qualified 12 fencers.

A total of 144 fencers from 25 teams will compete for the championship title. The NCAA Championships consists of six weapons (men’s epee, men’s foil, men’s sabre, women’s foil, women’s epee and women’s sabre) and the Buckeyes will have two representatives in each event.

The No. 2 Buckeye women’s fencing unit qualifiers consists of a returning competitor from the 2013 NCAA Championships and a freshman for each weapon class. Mona Shaito, who placed third last year, will compete for women’s foil, while Caroline Piasecka, who placed 15th in last year’s championships, will compete for women’s epee, and Celina Merza, who placed 18th last year, will return for women’s sabre. Eugenia Falqui, women’s epee, Alanna Goldie, women’s foil, and Alexa Antipas, women’s sabre, are making their championship debut.

The No. 5 Buckeye men’s fencing unit qualifiers contains five prior NCAA Championship competitors. Zain Shaito and Chris Colley, who both competed in the 2012 and 2013 NCAA Championships, return for Buckeyes in men’s foil. Kristian Boyadzhiev, men’s epee, and Rhys Douglas, men’s sabre, last competed in the 2012 NCAA Championships and will return for the Buckeyes. Freshmen Iñaki de Guzman and Fares Arfa will compete for epee and sabre, respectively.

Fencers will compete in a round-robin format of five-touch bouts for five rounds. The top-four finishers in each weapon, after round-robin competition, will fence in semifinal 15-touch bouts, with winners fencing to determine first and second places, and the non-advancing fencers tying for third place 

An institution’s place finish in the championships will be based on points earned by each individual fencer. A team will be awarded one point for each victory by its student-athletes throughout the entire championship.

Qualifying fencers were chosen with 60% consideration based off their performance at the Midwest Regional, results linked above, and the other 40% based on varsity competition throughout the season.

Men’s Epee
Kristian Boyadzhiev
Iñaki de Guzman 

Men’s Foil
Zain Shaito
Chris Colley 

Men’s Sabre
Rhys Douglas
Fares Arfa 

Women’s Epee
Eugenia Falqui
Caroline Piasecka 

Women’s Foil
Alanna Goldie
Mona Shaito

Women’s Sabre
Alexa Antipas
Celina Merza