April 15, 2017

Ohio State Plows Past Hawks to Reach MIVA Semifinals


April 15, 2017

Final Stats


COLUMBUS, Ohio — Top-seeded Ohio State opened postseason play by toppling No. 8-seed Quincy in just 62 minutes, ripping through three sets: 25-14, 25-20, 25-15. The Buckeyes notched their 28th win of 2017, improving 28-2 while dropping the Hawks to 7-22. Ohio State will host a to-be-determined opponent in the MIVA Semifinals Wednesday (Apr. 19) evening inside St. John Arena.

The Scarlet & Gray never trailed at any point in any set.

The Buckeyes have surrendered only 16 sets to Quincy in 56 all-time meetings dating back to the original clash in 1993, arising victorious in 54 of the 56 contests. The most recent match-up Saturday night in the conference quarterfinals was over in the blink of an eye. Ohio State attacked .520 or better in all three sets, swinging .525 overall.

Two days after being named the MIVA Player of the Year for the second straight season, Nicolas Szerszen proved the vote correct. He racked up 13 kills on 19 error-free attempts (.684) as one of four different Buckeyes to attack .667 or better individually. Blake Leeson’s 4-for-5 termination rate paced the squad while Maxime Hervoir and Driss Guessous combined for 16 more kills; hitting .727 (9-1-11) and .667 (7-1-9), respectively. Miles Johnson was a bit off from the pin, but delivered three aces from the service stripe to crack double-digit points.

Set 1: Ohio State committed a lone error on 23 attack attempts in the opening frame, getting up early and often. The Buckeyes jumped ahead 4-0 and never looked back in a 25-14 winner.

Set 2: The Buckeyes opened up a 10-5 edge in the second set just as they had in the first. It was once again a set void of any deficits for Ohio State. Quincy did threaten late the frame, however, closing to within three tallies at 20-17. The Buckeyes responded with a three-point run though, and eventually closed it out 25-20.

Set 3: It was a repeat performance for OSU to begin the third, sprinting out on top 4-0. Ohio State never lost grip of the lead throughout, blasting by the Hawks 25-15 to end the night early.