Nov. 16, 2016
Ohio State Buckeyes (2-0) vs. Providence College Friars (1-0)
|Date:||Nov. 17, 2016|
|Site:||Value City Arena (19,049)|
|Game Time:||7:01 p.m.|
|Talent:|| Kevin Kugler (Play-By-Play)
Seth Davis (Expert Analysis)
|Radio:||OSU-IMG Sports Network (60 stations)|
|Satellite Radio:||Sirius 119/XM 195|
|Local Radio:||WBNS-FM 97.1, AM-1460|
|Radio Talent:|| Paul Keels (Play-By-Play)
Ron Stokes (Expert Analysis)
Gavitt Tipoff Games
The Gavitt Tipoff Games is an annual series between the Big Ten and BIG EAST Conferences and named in honor of Dave Gavitt, founder of the BIG EAST and basketball visionary. The series is in its second year and will span eight years with games being played on home sites. The Games will be played in the first full week of the college basketball season.
Starting Five, Plus One
• Senior Marc Loving needs just 39 points to become the 53rd Buckeye all-time to reach 1,000 career points. Loving tallied 13 points in the season opener at Navy and 3 most recently vs. N.C. Central.
• Sophomore C.J. Jackson, who played a year ago at Eastern Florida State Junior College, came off the bench to hand out nine assists, grab six rebounds and go 4-of-4 at the foul line in 27 minutes vs. Navy. He is currently tied for first nationally in total assists with 17 after dishing out eight vs. N.C. Central. He as played the fewest minutes (50) of the Top 16 players nationally in total assists.
• Ohio State is 97-17 in home openers all-time. Thad Matta teams are 13-0 at Ohio State in the first home game of the season.
• Ohio State has won at least 10 Big Ten regular season games (11-7 in 2016) over the last 11 seasons, the longest streak in school history and the longest streak among Big Ten schools over Thad Matta’s 12-year tenure with the Buckeyes. Wisconsin (12-6 in conference play last year) has a streak of 10-consecutive seasons with 10+ victories in regular season league play.
• Thad Matta is No. 13 all-time in career Big Ten regular-season victories … Matta owns 143 career league triumphs. He is tied with Harold “Bud” Foster (WIS 1935-59) who also won 143 league encounters. The No. 12 spot is held by former Ohio State coach Harold Olsen (1923-46). He won 154 league games over his tenure.
• Redshirt junior Kam Williams led he Big Ten during conference play a year ago in 3-point shooting percentage, knocking down 51.5 percent of his long-range attempts (34-66). In the opener at Navy this year, Williams connected on 5-of-6 from distance on his way to a game-high 23 points.
Rookie Starters in Matta Era
Thad Matta has started seven freshmen in their first game at Ohio State during his tenure (2005-present). Four of those rookies did so from 2005-06 to 2006-07. Rookie Micah Potter, a freshman center from Mentor, Ohio, started his first game as a Buckeye at Navy last Friday. The two most recent freshman starters were Jared Sullinger at center in 2010-11 and rookie guard D’Angelo Russell in 2014-15. David Lighty and Mike Conley Jr. were the first freshmen starters in the Matta era in 2006. Jon Diebler and Kosta Koufos got the starting nod in 2007-08.
Ohio State, Providence Series
Ohio State and Providence have met just once previously, an 84-83 Buckeyes overtime win March 15, 1990 in the first round of the 1990 NCAA Tournament in Salt Lake City, Utah. Ohio State assistant coach Chris Jent played in that game scoring four points and collecting five rebounds. He also had a pair of assists and two steals in 35 minutes.
Ohio State vs. the Big East
All-time, Ohio State is 64-29 vs. teams that currently make up the Big East Conference. Marquette was the last Big East team to take on Ohio State. The teams squared off in Columbus Nov. 18, 2014 with the Buckeyes prevailing 74-63.
St. John’s…………………………… 4-2
Seton Hall………………………….. 3-2
Xavier (OH)………………………… 3-1
A Look at Providence
Providence opened its schedule Monday with an 80-58 home win over Vermont. The Friars made 17-of-20 foul shots and connected on 9-of-23 from 3-point range. Junior forward Emmitt Holt, a Webster, New York native, was one of three to reach double figures offensively with 22 points. Rodney Bullock, a junior forward from Hampton, Virginia, added 18 ahead of Ryan Fazekas, a sophomore guard from Chesterton, Indiana, with 11. Guard Kyron Cartwright, a junior from Compton, California, handed out 12 assists.
Noting the N.C. Central Game
• The Buckeyes are now 97-17 in home openers all-time.
• This matchup marks the first meeting all-time between Ohio State and North Carolina Central.
• Ohio State is 19-0 all-time against the teams currently in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.
• The Buckeyes’ last game against a MEAC opponent was 97-55 victory over North Carolina A&T on Dec. 17, 2014.
• The Buckeyes start the season 2-0 for the 13th consecutive year (2004-present)
• The Buckeyes forced 20 opponent turnovers in the contest, the 50th game of 20+ in Ohio State history. The Buckeyes are 49-1 in these contests.
• North Carolina Central recorded only 4 steals in the contest, Ohio State is 181-37 (.830) in games in which their opponent records fewer than five steals.
• N.C. Central shot only nine free throws in the contest, the last opponent to held under 10 free throw attempts was Michigan State Feb. 23, 2016.
• Ohio State outscored N.C. Central 38-28 in the paint.
• Thad Matta is 322-108 (.749) during his career at Ohio State and 424-139 (.753) overall as a head coach.
• Matta is now 180-7 in Columbus vs. unranked opponents, with only four losses to non-conference opponents in his twelve seasons.
• Matta teams are 187-31 when teams make 10 or fewer foul shots and 104-11 when attempting 10 or fewer. N.C. Central was 7-of-9 at the stripe.
• Matta coached teams have started 2-0 in all 13 seasons at Ohio State.
• Matta is 261-29 (.900) all-time when his team leads at half and 2-0 this year.
• With Matta at the helm Ohio State is 58-9 (.866) in the month of November.
• The Buckeyes are now 268-42 (.865) against unranked opponents under Matta
• Jae’Sean Tate put up a team high 21 points while adding 10 rebounds, two assists and two steals.
• This is Tate’s first double-double of the season and the sixth of his career, his last coming Feb. 20, 2016 against Nebraska.
• Micah Potter started his second career game, recording his first career points scoring 13 points while going three of four from downtown.
• Last Buckeye to make his first 3-point attempt was JaQuan Lyle and Austin Grandstaff Nov. 15, 2016 against Mount St. Marys.
• C.J. Jackson contributed a team leading eight assists to go along with three points and two steals in his time off the bench.
• Jackson has led the Buckeyes in assists in both games this season, dishing out nine against Navy Nov. 11, 2016.
For more on the Buckeyes click on the Ohio State Notes link above.