Oct. 24, 2004

Box Score

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s soccer team dropped a hard-fought battle to eighth-ranked Indiana Sunday, 1-0, in front of 2,081 fans in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. The Hoosiers’ goal was the first allowed by the Buckeyes in Big Ten play this season as Indiana takes over sole possession of first place in the conference with a 5-1-0 Big Ten record, while the Buckeyes move to 3-1-0 in the league and hold down second place.

Indiana, which won the 2003 College Cup last December in Columbus Crew Stadium, improves to 11-3-1 overall, while Ohio State falls to 7-5-2. The match marked the final home game in the careers of OSU seniors Justin Cook, Eric Schwebach, Sammy Tamporello and Peter Withers.

“It was a very even game,” John Bluem, Ohio State head coach, said. “Indiana scored a tremendous goal to beat us and (Indiana goalkeeper Jay) Nolly came up with a great save on Cook’s shot. It was a hard-fought battle with a lot on the line, and it was played like there was.”

The Buckeyes have three regular-season matches remaining, all on the road, before traveling to Michigan for the Big Ten tournament.

Indiana sophomore John Michael Hayden’s laser shot from 25 yards out in the 51st minute got past OSU junior goalkeeper Ray Burse Jr. (Prospect, Ky./St. Xavier) and would stand up as the game-winner for the Hoosiers, who will carry the No. 1 seed into the Big Ten tournament.

Cook (Winter Springs, Fla./Oviedo) nearly scored the equalizer in the 75th minute when he collected a pass from junior Kevin Nugent (Centerville, Ohio/Centerville) and got off a shot while wheeling towards the goal. As the ball headed for the net Nolly got a hand on the ball just enough to deflect the shot inches wide left of the post.

“I think we played well,” Cook said. “Everyone really played their best and we didn’t deserve the loss. There’s still a lot of soccer to play, though. The games we have left are important ones and if we get three wins we have a better chance at the NCAA tournament and I think we would be second in the Big Ten.”

Cook had a strong shot in the ninth minute that was deflected by IU’s Jordan Chirico. That followed a strong drive by Tamporello (Richardson, Texas/L.V. Berkner) in the eighth minute that was cleared by Nolly. The Hoosiers nearly got on the board in the 18th minute when Drew Moore got off a shot from 12 yards that Burse saved with a one-handed deflection over the top of the cross bar. In the 34th minute, IU’s Jacob Peterson drive was cut off nicely by Schwebach (Eden Prairie, Minn./Eden Prairie).

Ohio State freshman Ryan Kustos (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) was fouled just outside the 18-yard box in the 41st minute, setting up a free kick by Withers (Portland, Ore./Jesuit) that was blocked. Another Hoosier foul with 15 seconds left in the half resulted in a free kick by junior Kyle Veris (Strongsville, Ohio/Univ. of Akron), which was blocked.

Burse finished with two saves in the match.

“We had our chances today,” Bluem said. “We have had a good season and have a lot of soccer left in us. We have to put this behind us and get ready to go on the road.”

Ohio State will return to action Friday at Northwestern.

### GO BUCKS! ###