Purdue vs. Ohio State
April 16-17, 2011
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State softball team hosts Purdue at 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Buckeye Field. The Buckeyes (10-25, 2-6 Big Ten) will look to get back on track after dropping two games Wednesday at Indiana in a midweek conference doubleheader. Purdue (25-12, 3-3 Big Ten) comes into Columbus after falling, 4-3, in 11 innings at Loyola Thursday.
FOLLOWING FROM HOME
Buckeye fans can watch the games vs. Iowa this weekend at OhioStateBuckeyes.com for live video streaming on Buckeye Vision. Packages available for purchase include a one-month subscription for Buckeye Vision for $11.95 or a four-month plan for $39.95.
A link for live stats can be found on the softball schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
Fans also can listen live on OhioStateSports.net – the official student radio of Buckeye sports. Charlie Danis and Chrissy Rankin will have the call.
BUCKEYE QUICK HITS
- Ohio State leads Purdue, 17-12, in the all-time series and is 15-9 vs. the Boilermakers under head coach Linda Kalafatis. Last season, the doubleheader in West Lafayette, Ind. was cancelled due to rain. In 2009, the Buckeyes split a doubleheader vs. Purdue in Columbus, dropping game one, 3-2, before bouncing back to win game two, 4-1, April 22.
- Since 2006, Ohio State owns a 5-3 ledger against Purdue.
- Junior co-captain Alicia Herron leads the squad, batting .388 while recording 22 RBI, 28 runs, eight doubles and five home runs and two triples. She also leads the team with a .663 slugging percentage, while going a perfect 8-for-8 in stolen base attempts.
- Senior Brittany Goodchildis second on the team in batting with a .333 average, collecting 32 hits with three doubles.
- Senior co-captain Dee Dee Hillman is second on the team in runs with 20 this season. She is batting .274 with 32 hits and three triples, while going 5-for-5 in stolen bases.
- Freshman Evelyn Carrillo leads the team with six home runs and 25 RBI in 2011 with 30 hits and 53 total bases. She is slugging .491 at the plate this season.
- Senior pitcher Karisa Medrano claimed both victories at Minnesota April 2 in Minneapolis. In 10.2 innings of work, Medrano claimed seven strikeouts , while opposing hitters batted just .143 against the senior Buckeye.
- Sophomore Megan Coletta gave the Buckeyes a 7-5 lead at Minnesota in game two in the top of the seventh when she posted a two-out two-run home run – her second long ball of the season.
- Sophomore Julia Pecina helped the Buckeyes defeat Pittsburgh, 4-3, in game one April 6 with an RBI single in the bottom of the sixth inning.
- Goodchild made her first career start in the circle in game two vs. Pittsburgh April 6 at Buckeye Field.
- Head coach Linda Kalafatis recorded her 500th career victory at the helm of the Buckeyes after the team won, 4-1, against Harvard March 18 at San Diego Classic II Tournament in San Diego, Calif.
- The Buckeyes post season-high 12 runs, 11 RBI and a .415 batting average in the 12-4 win vs. Evansville Feb. 20 in Mobile, Ala.
- Ohio State returns eight letterwinners and four starters from its 2010 squad that went 39-14 and 16-2 in Big Ten play, finished tied for second in the league.
- The Buckeyes have made four NCAA appearances in the last five years, including their first run in program history to the NCAA Super Regional in 2009. Ohio State also made the tournament in 2006 and 2007.
The Buckeyes will next travel to Athens, Ohio, for a midweek doubleheader against the Bobcats, beginning at 2 p.m. April 20 at Ohio Softball Field.