COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s soccer team continues non-conference play when it squares off with Morehead State and Notre Dame this week. The Buckeyes will host Morehead State at 7 p.m. Thursday before taking on the Irish at 1 p.m. Sunday in South Bend.
Fans can follow live stats and streaming video on the schedule page at OhioStateBuckeyes.com or follow on Twitter @OhioStateWSOC.
OHIO STATE OF LATE
Ohio State picked up its first win of 2018, a 1-0 upset of No. 5 Florida last Friday in Gainesville before having their originially scheduled home-opener against Duquesne cancelled because of inclement weather Sunday night. Freshman Kayla Fischer scored the game-winner in the 56th minute against the Gators while senior goalkeeper Devon Kerr stopped four shots on her way to her first clean sheet of the season.
HONORS ROLL IN FOR FISCHER
The weekly honors came flying in for Kayla Fischer after her game-winner against the No. 5 Gators. The Kent, Ohio, native was an honorable mention selection on Top Drawer Soccer’s Team of the Week before pick up Big Ten Offensive Player and Co-Freshman of the Week laurels.
Fischer is the first Buckeye to earn Big Ten Player of the Week honors since Sammy Edwards Oct. 26 of last season and the first Freshman of the Week since Izzy Rodriguez Oct. 10 of last season.
More honors rolling in for Kayla Fischer, who has been named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week and the conference’s Co-Freshman of the Week!
— Ohio State WSOC (@OhioStateWSOC) August 28, 2018
SOME MORE NOTES
– Ohio State is 37-1-2 when scoring at least two goals in a game since the start of 2014, including 11-0-0 a season ago. The Buckeyes went 5-0-1 when scoring at least twice in 2014 before going a perfect 11-0-0 in 2015 and 10-1-1 in 2016.
– Ohio State is 1-0-0 on the year when scoring first after it went 15-1-0 when scoring first last season and 10-0-1 in 2016.
– Ohio State was 4-1-1 in overtime contests in 2017 and 9-2-7 in overtime matches over the last three seasons.
– Devon Kerr’s nine shutouts last season tied her with Emily Haynam and Amber Barnes for second on the Buckeyes’ single-season shutout list. Kerr also sits in sole possession of fifth on the Ohio State career clean sheet list with 12.
– Kayla Fischer became the first Buckeye freshman to score the team’s first goal of the season since Lisa Collison did so in a 2-0 win over Xavier in 2005.
– In the win over No. 5 Florida, the Buckeyes knocked off their highest-ranked opponent since a 2-0 victory over No. 3 Penn State in the 2004 Big Ten Tournament championship game.
SCOUTING MOREHEAD STATE
Morehead State is 1-3-0 on the year, picking up a 2-1 season-opening win at Akron before suffering three-consecutive overtime losses at Pittsburgh, at Kentucky and at home against Ball State. Katie Quinn and Colleen Swift have each scored a goal while goalkeeper Eva Helgadottir has made 33 saves and recorded a 1.19 goals-against average.
The Buckeyes have won both previous meetings against Morehead State, including a 3-2 victory in Columbus to open the 2013 season.
SCOUTING NOTRE DAME
Notre Dame, receiving votes in the latest United Soccer Coaches poll, is 3-1-0 on the year, winning three home matches before dropping a 4-1 decision at Butler last Sunday. Eva Hurm leads the Irish with a pair of goals while Brooke Littman (0.50 GAA) and Maddie Interian (2.50 GAA) have split time in goal.
Ohio State is 1-6-0 all-time against the Irish after picking up a 2-1 double-overtime win last year in Columbus.
Ohio State wraps up its non-conference schedule hosts Florida Gulf Coast at 5 p.m. Sept. 7.