March 14, 2018

Ohio State Holds On To Beat UConn 13-12


March 14, 2018

Final Stats | Box Score

RELATED INFO: Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram2018 Schedule

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Ohio State University women’s lacrosse team stood tall and withstood a late rally from the University of Connecticut Huskies, coming away with a 13-12 win on Wednesday night in Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.

The Buckeyes opened the game on a three-goal run, with Sara Dickinson, Molly Wood and Alyssa Amorison finding the back of the net to put OSU up 3-0 with 20:55 to play in the half. UConn got on the board with a goal from Sydney Watson, but Ohio State responded with another goal from Dickinson and a free position goal from Lindsay Epstein to push the lead to four, 5-1. Connecticut picked up the pace with Grace Nolan and Olivia Miles scoring back-to-back goals to cut the lead to two, 5-3. Wood stopped the rally with her second goal of the day, but only 15 seconds passed before Abby Vetsch found the back of the net for UConn to make it 6-4 Buckeyes with 9:04 to play in the first. It looked like that score would hold until halftime, but Watson scored her second goal of the night for the Huskies with 1:48 to play, and OSU took a 6-5 lead into the locker room.

Connecticut wasted no time in tying, and eventually taking the lead in the second half. Lexi Kenneally netted the equalizer less than a minute into the half, and Kelsey Catalano put UConn in front, 7-6, with a goal just under three minutes into the half. OSU fired back, with Baley Parrott getting on the board to tie the game, and Epstein scoring her second goal of the game to give OSU the 8-7 lead. The teams continued to trade pairs of goals, this time with Nolan and Catalano scoring to put UConn up 9-8, but back-to-back goals from McKayla Conti and Wood once again gave Ohio State the lead, 10-9, with 13:07 to play.

As UConn tried to respond, Parrott rattled off two straight goals to notch a hat trick for the evening, putting the Buckeyes up 12-9 with 8:47 to play. The Connecticut response came moments later when Catalano scored, ending the OSU run and making it a two-goal game, 12-10. Conti gave OSU some much needed insurance with her second goal of the game, making it 13-10 with 3:26 to go. With time winding down UConn chipped away at the Ohio State lead. Caitlin Leary scored with 1:50 to play, and just 10 second later Miles found the back of the net to cut the lead to one, 13-12. After an OSU timeout, Shannon Rosati came away with the draw control and the Buckeyes held on to get the 13-12 win.

Parrott led the way for the Buckeyes with three goals, six draw controls, two ground balls, one assist and one caused turnover. Wood also tallied three goals to go along with her five draw controls and two ground balls. Rosati finished with five draw controls and four ground balls, tied for the game high. Conti’s two goals pushed her team-leading total to 18. Goaltender Jill Rizzo finished with a game high eight ground balls to go along with her nine saves. Both Dickinson and Epstein notched two goals each in the win.

We caught up with Head Coach Alexis Venechanos to talk about tonight’s win, player performances and heading into B1G play. #GoBucks

— OhioStateWomen’s LAX (@OhioState_WLAX) March 15, 2018

Ohio State now looks ahead to this weekend where it opens Big Ten conference play. OSU makes the trip to Ann Arbor to face That Team Up North on Saturday. The game is set for a Noon start at the U-M Lacrosse Stadium.