COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State cross country teams travel to Evansville, Ind., for the 2021 NCAA Cross Country Great Lakes Regional, which will be held Friday at Angel Mounds. The women’s 6K race will start at noon ET, followed by the men’s 10K race at 1 p.m. ET. Live results will be available HERE.
The Buckeyes at NCAA Regionals and in Evansville
- The 2021 NCAA Great Lakes Regional includes 32 women’s teams and 30 men’s teams.
- The last NCAA regionals were in November 2019 in Madison, Wis. That year, the Buckeye women finished fourth to qualify for the NCAA championships for the third time in program history.
- The Buckeye men and women ran on the Angel Mounds course earlier this season, as they competed at the Evansville Opener Sept. 3. Addie Engel was the top Buckeye finisher in the 5K, followed by Daniella Santos, Hannah Moulton, Andrea Kuhn and Akemi Von Scherr for the Buckeye Top 5, with all placing in the Top 6. The men swept the Top 9 spots. Kevin Agnew was first in the 8K. The Buckeyes rounding out the team’s Top 5 were Mikey Zedan, Nick Regas, Zubin Jha and Zach Shultz.
Buckeye This and That
- The Buckeyes last competed at the Big Ten Championships Oct. 29 in State College, Pa. Addie Engel finished fourth to earn All-Big Ten honors and lead the women’s squad. She is the seventh Buckeye to earn first team all-league honors. Zubin Jha was first for the Buckeye men, placing 29th.
- Engel was the top finisher for the Buckeye women in the five races she has run this year, with Top 16 finishes in each. She won the season-opening Evansville Opener (to earn Big Ten Athlete of the Week honors), placed fourth in the Penn State Spiked Shoe Invitational, was 16th at the Bill Dellinger Invite at Oregon, finished 11th at the FSU Invite/Pre-Nationals and was fourth at the Big Ten Championships.
- For the men, freshman Kevin Agnew finished first for Ohio State the first two races, including winning the Evansville Opener in his first collegiate race. Zubin Jha has been the top finisher for the Buckeyes the last three races – at Notre Dame, at Florida State and at Big Tens.
- The Top 5 finishers were the same for the Buckeye women in five races, with Santos, Moulton, Kuhn and Von Scherr joining Engel.
- Agnew and Jha have finished among the Buckeyes’ Top 5 each of the first five races for the men.
In the Rankings
- The Buckeye women’s squad is ranked eighth in the Great Lakes Region in the most recent USTFCCCA poll. The Top 10 includes No. 1 Michigan, followed by Wisconsin, Michigan State, Toledo, Notre Dame, Butler, Indiana, the Buckeyes, Miami (Ohio) and Akron. The Wolverines are 12th nationally to lead teams at the Great Lakes Regional, with Wisconsin (13th), Michigan State (16th) and Notre Dame (25th) also in the Top 30.
- The Ohio State men are 14th in the Great Lakes Region. Notre Dame is ranked first in the region, followed by Wisconsin, Michigan, Butler and Indiana. Nationally, Notre Dame is sixth, with Wisconsin (9th), Michigan (12th), Butler (28th) also in the rankings.
- Florida State will serve as host of the NCAA Championships Nov. 20 in Tallahassee, Fla.