OSU vs. UCSB | OSU vs. UP | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
FRESNO, Calif. – For the second time this weekend, the Ohio State softball team (5-7) earned a split on at Margie Wright Diamond as part of the Fresno State Invitational. The Buckeyes started the day with a 5-2 setback to UC Santa Barbara (5-10) before they bounced back with a 6-2 win over Pacific (7-4) on Saturday.
GAME 1: UCSB 5, Ohio State 2
- A run came across for UCSB in the opening frame on a sacrifice fly.
- Meg Otte had the first hit of the game for the Buckeyes in the bottom of the third on a triple to center field, the first of her career.
- With the bases loaded in the fourth, the Gauchos had a runner come in on an error but Otte made the throw from center field to Claire Nicholson for the tag at the plate to limit the damage.
- Taylor Pack came up big for Ohio State in the home half as she swung on the first pitch and connected on a two-RBI double, which tied the game at 2-2.
- UCSB regained the lead in the fifth, 5-2, on a pair of wild pitches and a solo home run.
- Righty Skylar Hayward (0-1) pitched seven innings where she allowed six hits and two runs (one earned) and fanned four batters. Jessica Ross entered the game in the fifth and let in three runs and two hits before Hayward returned to the circle.
GAME 2: Ohio State 6, Pacific 2
CLEAR THE BAGS
With the score tied at 2-2 and facing two outs, Niki Carver demolished a go-ahead grand slam in the top of the sixth inning to propel the Buckeyes to victory. It was the first grand slam of the season and of Carver’s career in Scarlet and Gray.
- Pacific got on the board in the bottom of the third with an RBI single.
- The Buckeyes responded in the fourth to take a 2-1 lead. Andi Farrah had a single to set up Avery Clark, who swung on the first pitch for a two-run homer down the right field line.
- An OSU throwing error in the home half gave the Tigers time to score and tie the game at 2-2.
- Niki Carver broke the contest open in the sixth. Two walks and a single stacked the bags for Carver, who belted the ball over the fence for a grand slam and put the Buckeyes up 6-2.
- RHP Payton Buresch (4-3) secured the win and went the distance for the fifth time this year. She gave up eight hits and two runs (one earned) with one strikeout.
Ohio State closes its time on the West Coast at noon ET against UIC.