COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s lacrosse team battled tough against No. 12 Michigan but fell, 15-10, at the Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium on Thursday evening. The Buckeyes are 6-4 on the season and 0-2 in conference games, while Michigan remains undefeated at 11-0, 2-0 Big Ten.
THE SHORT STORY
The Buckeyes put up an impressive first half against the No. 12 Wolverines, taking a 4-2 lead with 11 minutes to go in the first half. Both teams were quick on offense, going back and forth through most of the half. A late free-position goal gave Michigan a one-goal lead at halftime. Ohio State was quick to convert at the beginning of the second half, but slowed as the clocked ran out, falling 15-10.
MOMENTS THAT MATTERED
• Chandler Kirby scored the first goal of the game at 25:06 after a free-position opportunity.
• Senior Baley Parrott evened the score, getting the offense going for the Buckeyes. Molly Garrett gave the Wolverines the lead back shortly after, 2-1.
• The Buckeyes tallied three unanswered goals, two from senior Sara Dickinson and one from junior Sage Darling, to take a 4-2 lead with 11 minutes left in the first half.
• The momentum swayed towards the Wolverines after they posted five consecutive goals, taking back a 7-4 lead.
• Penalties by Michigan provided two man-up opportunities for the Buckeyes, converted on by sophomore Sophie Baez and Dickinson. Baez then added another goal with just under two minutes left in the frame to tie the game at 7-all.
• A late free-position shot gave the Wolverines the slight edge going into halftime, 8-7.
• Ohio State came out firing in the second half, as Dickinson scored her fourth goal of the game in the opening minute.
• Michigan gained a two-goal lead at 17:31, and Baez responded to bring the Bucks within one just over a minute later.
• A three-goal run for the Wolverines was sparked by Adriana Pendino, who finished with a game-high five goals.
• Senior Baley Parrott added a 10th goal for OSU with six minutes left in the game, but Michigan buried two more shots to finish with a 15-10 victory.
THIS AND THAT
• Sara Dickinson totaled a career-high four goals and tied her career-high of six points. Dickinson has scored a point in all but one game for the Buckeyes this season, and has seven multi-point efforts so far.
• Sophie Baez notched her third hat trick of the season and has six multi-point games this season.
• Baley Parrott has scored goals in nine games this season and has posted eight multiple point performances. Parrott also had a team-high four draw controls.
• Sage Darling registered her fifth goal of the season.
• Liza Hernandez assisted on a team-high three goals, and has notched points in nine of 10 games this season.
• Caroline Mackrides led the team with three caused turnovers.
• The team picked up 20 ground balls, led by five from Jill Rizzo.
JUST THE STATS
Leading Scorers: Sara Dickinson (4G, 2A), Sophie Baez (3G, 1A), Baley Parrott (2G, 2A), Liza Hernandez (3A)
Shots: Ohio State 21, Michigan 28
Ground Balls: Ohio State 20, Michigan 15
Draw Controls: Ohio State 8, Michigan 19
Free Position Shots: Ohio State 1-of-2, Michigan 8-of-11
Saves: Ohio State (Rizzo) 6, Michigan (Shane) 9
The Buckeyes finish up the short home stretch with a contest against San Diego State at noon at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.