Box Score| Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | 2020 Schedule | 2020 Roster | Big Ten Lacrosse | Women’s Homepage
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s lacrosse team dropped a 21-14 decision to a hot-shooting Towson team Tuesday evening in Towson, Md. The decision drops Ohio State to 5-4 on the season while Towson improves to 2-4.
THE SHORT STORY
Eight different players scored goals against Towson with Ali Beekhuizen leading the way with four goals on ten shots. Ashley Turner, Liza Hernandez and Clare Johnston each scored two goals apiece. Caly O’Brien, Janie Cowley, Chloe Johnson and Nicole Ferrara also scored for the Buckeyes, who fired 31 shots including 18 on goal.
Towson, meanwhile, was led by Abbe Mona’s seven goals and received five from Kaitlin Thornton. Towson fired 37 shots, including 27 on goal, while Ohio State’s Jill Rizzo made six saves in goal.
HOW THE GOALS WERE SCORED
- Towson jumped out to 4-0 and 7-1 leads before Ali Beekhuizen sparked Ohio State with a pair of goals in a run that featured three more goals – by Ashley Turner, Liza Hernandez and Nicole Ferrara – to close the gap to 8-6, Towson, in the first minute of the second half.
- Beekhuizen and Turner each scored again to keep the Buckeyes within striking distance at 9-7.
- The closest Ohio State could get the rest of the way was within two goals two more times – at 10-8 and again at 12-10 – but Towson pulled away each time for the win.
MORE GAME NOTES
- Ali Beekhuizen’s four goals represented a personal season high, as was her 10 shot attempts. She also had an assist for a team-high five points.
- Liza Hernandez has increased her team lead in goals to 20 with her sixth game of at least two-or-more goals this season.
- Hernandez also leads the team with 24 points on the season while Sophie Baez is second with 20 points.
- Freshman Nicole Ferrara, who was named Big Ten Freshman of the Week this week, scored in her fifth consecutive game and now ranks fourth on the team in goals with 13 and third with 19 points.
- Beekhuizen now has 15 goals and 18 total points while freshman Ashley Turner has 17 points with a team-high seven assists.
JUST THE STATS
Shots: Towson 34, Ohio State 31
Ground Balls: Towson 16, Ohio State 14
Draw Controls: Towson 19, Ohio State 18
Clears: Towson 11-14, Ohio State 6-10
Free Position Shots: Towson 7-9, Ohio State 2-7
Saves: Ohio State 7, Towson 4
Fouls: Ohio State 20, Towson 15
Turnovers: Ohio State 13, Towson 14
The Buckeyes will begin conference play Saturday, March 14 with a match-up against Johns Hopkins. First draw is set for 1 p.m. at Johns Hopkins’ home field, Homewood Field.