Oct. 12, 2014

Box Score

RELATED INFO • Follow the Buckeyes on Facebook and Twitter  • Box Score   

    COLUMBUS, Ohio –  The Ohio State men’s soccer team fell just short, 2-1, against No. 10 Indiana Sunday afternoon on Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.    It was an exciting finish in a Big Ten battle in Columbus with the Buckeyes earning a second penalty kick with 1:07 remaining on the clock. However, Indiana goalkeeper Colin Webb made a diving stop from the near post to deny junior midfielder Kyle Culbertson’s second penalty shot of the afternoon to claim the win for the Hoosiers (8-1-3, 2-1-1 B1G). With the loss, the Buckeyes fall to 4-5-3 overall and 2-2 in Big Ten play.    “I’m heartbroken for the guys right now because I thought we played well enough to win the game,” head coach John Bluem said. “We were able to put pressure on them in the second half to tie the match but gave it right back to Indiana on a costly mistake. We felt confident in Kyle and it’s not easy to make two penalty kicks in one game. Unfortunately, their goalkeeper came up with the big play.”   Indiana scored the first goal of the contest four minutes into the second half when Hollinger-Janzen buried a shot inside the net from six yards out at 48:43 after a near cross inside the box from Andrew Oliver. But like all season, the Scarlet and Gray showed a lot of heart and continued to give full effort on the pitch and it paid off in the 77th minute when a handball was called on the Hoosiers inside the penalty area. Culbertson, a native of Columbus, buried the penalty shot into the back left of the net to tie it at 1-1 at 76:27.    However, just 48 seconds later, Indiana regained the lead when Jay McIntosh received a long ball from Jamie Vollmer on the near side and sent in a shot off the right post passed OSU goalkeeper Alex Ivanov at 77:15. Ivanov falls to 4-5-3 overall, boasting six saves in the home contest. Cublertson’s second penalty kick was earned following a second hand ball foul by the Hoosiers in the penalty box.   The first 45 minutes of play went scoreless, but the Buckeyes had multiple chances to tally a goal. Sophomore forward Danny Jensen struck a header from the near post in the fourth minute, but it wide of net. Senior midfielder Max Moller sent a curling shot from 12 yards out in the 16th but IU goalkeeper Colin Webb made a diving save to his left to keep it scoreless. In the 41st, Jensen tried a quick cross from the near side to a sprinting Christian Soldat in front of net, but their timing was just a split second off from connecting for a score. Ivanov was solid in the first half, posting four saves, including a diving stop in the 22nd minute. At half, shots were 6-5 in favor of the Hoosiers, while both teams collected one corner.   Overall shots were 14-13 in favor of the Buckeyes, while Ohio State held a 5-1 advantage in corners.    “We just have to reflect on the game today and look at what we could have done better,” Bluem said. “We have to put it right behind us because we have four conference games left. Hopefully we can respond next week and get the victory.”    The Buckeyes will next travel to Madison, Wis., for a Big Ten road match against the Badgers at 8 p.m. ET Oct. 18 at McClimon Complex.