Oct. 6, 2013

Madison, Wis.
Dan McClimon Track and Soccer Complex
Wisconsin 1 (8-2-2, 3-1-1 Big Ten); Ohio State 0 (7-3-3, 1-2-2 Big Ten)
Attendance: 539

MADISON, Wis. – The Ohio State women’s soccer team fell, 1-0, to Wisconsin in overtime on an own goal in the 98th minute at the Dan McClimon Track and Soccer Complex Sunday afternoon. With the loss, the Buckeyes drop to 7-3-3 overall, 1-2-2 in the Big Ten, while the Badgers improve to 8-2-2, 3-1-1 in conference play.

“Our young team is learning some hard lessons,” Ohio State head coach Lori Walker said. “Every game in the Big Ten is a battle and I thought we played very hard today and together as a team. We played from our heart and I was pleased with our effort but we have to figure out how to finish the chances that we’re creating. It puts tremendous pressure on our defense when we can’t collectively as a team find the back of the net. I thought Wisconsin was an excellent side and it was a hard-fought game by both teams.”

In a back and forth first half, Ohio State tallied a pair of solid chances. In the 23rd minute, the Buckeyes earned a free kick but Danica Wu’s shot from just outside the box deflected off the wall and just over the crossbar.

In the 30th minute, Ellyn Gruber possessed 25 yards out and played a through ball to Alexis Degler who darted in from the left wing but her left-footed strike sailed over the crossbar as the teams headed into the break scoreless.

Over the first 45 minutes, Ohio State held an 8-4 lead in shots, including 4-1 on goal. The Buckeyes also held a 5-1 advantage in corners.

Ohio State earned another quality opportunity in the 64th minute when Nichelle Prince gathered just outside the box and beat the Wisconsin defender but goalkeeper Genevieve Richard came out to make the diving save.

The Buckeyes tallied their best chance of regulation in the 81st minute when Gruber gathered a loose ball inside the box after a Megan Fuller free kick but Richard again came out to make the diving save on the shot from six yards.

Wisconsin bounced back less than three minutes later when Alev Kelter got her head on a corner but Gruber was there to clear the ball off the line and keep the game scoreless.

The game would head to overtime with the Badgers holding a narrow 12-11 lead in shots. The Buckeyes led 6-2 in shots on goal over the first 90 minutes.

Rose Lavelle broke free for the Badgers in the 95th minute when she tracked down a long ball but Ohio State goalkeeper Jillian McVicker came out to pick the ball off her foot and deflect it wide. Lavelle followed from the left wing but the shot was cleared off the line by Morgan Wolcott.

Less than three minute later, Kelter played a cross that deflected off Ohio State defender Taylor Schissler for an own goal.

For the game, Wisconsin held a 16-12 lead in shots but Ohio State led 6-5 in shots on goal and 8-6 in corner kicks. Prince led the Buckeyes with five shots, four on goal.

Ohio State hosts Michigan State at 6 p.m. Saturday at Bert L. & Iris S. Wolstein Field at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.