Sep 1, 2013

Box Score

COLUMBUS, Ohio – With seconds left in regulation, the Ohio State field hockey team battled back to send its final contest at the Conference Cup into overtime and went on to defeat No. 20 UNH, 3-2, Sunday in an overtime shootout in Philadelphia, Pa. Freshman midfielder Paige Hamilton tied the game, 2-2, on the team’s last shot at 69:55 to force extra time. Following two 15 minute overtime periods, the Buckeyes (1-1) posted a 3-1 advantage in the shootout session against the Wildcats (0-2) to claim their first win of the 2013 campaign.
“I thought our team showed a lot of character today to be able to come back from behind and send it to overtime,” head coach Anne Wilkinson said. “Sarah had some key saves throughout the contest and it really was a team win. Paige was able to find the back of the net for us after two great outlet passes following their corner. We are excited to open the home schedule next weekend in Columbus.” 

During the shootout, sophomore Peanut Johnson and seniors Nora Murer and Mona Frommhold all scored on their attempts to put the pressure on UNH. The Wildcats made their first attempt but were denied their final two chances by Ohio State junior goalkeeper Sarah Lemieux, who made her first career start in the Scarlet and Gray.

Lemieux posted eight saves, including three stops in extra time, while denying the final two Wildcats during the shootout. Lemieux, a native of Dublin, Ohio, improves to 1-0 in 2013.

The contest was sent into overtime in thrilling fashion when Hamilton, a native of Port Moody, British Columbia, scored off a rebound following a saved shot by classmate Brooke Hiltz with five seconds remaining on the clock. The goal marked her second score of the opening weekend.  The OSU attack was able to push forward across the turf after back-to-back corners by the Wildcats to set up the scoring opportunity.

Despite creating multiple offensive chances from both teams, neither squad could find the back of the cage after two overtime periods, leading to a shootout. In the first overtime, Hiltz had the team’s best chance at 79:06 but her shot was denied by UNH goalkeeper Carlie Tarbell. The Scarlet and Gray outshot the Wildcats, 4-2, in the second overtime. Senior Mona Frommhold and sophomore Peanut Johnson each had a shot on goal during the final 15 minutes of extra time.

In the first half, the Buckeyes struck first when senior forward Sophia Pifer redirected a shot from the left side at 15:37 to score her first career goal at Ohio State. She was assisted by Johnson on the play.

UNH then tied the game, 1-1, at 31:03 when Meg Flatley scored after a quick pass down the center from Aggie Sutherland. She then gave her squad a 2-1 advantage after halftime at 38:54 when she tipped in a ball on a penalty corner.

However, the Buckeyes continued to battle on the turf with the both teams posting 6 shots following the UNH second goal. The Wildcats had back-to-back corners in the final minute of play but were denied by the OSU backfield as one shot went wide and another shot was blocked, respectively.

Overall, Ohio State had a 22-21 advantage in shots, while UNH had a 14-7 lead in penalty corners.

The Scarlet and Gray will now prepare to open their home schedule next weekend hosting the 2013 Buckeye Classic. Ohio State faces Missouri State at 3 p.m. Friday before taking on Bucknell at Noon Sunday. The Bears and Bison will play a neutral-site matchup at Noon Saturday in Columbus at Buckeye Varsity Field.