Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | 2019 Roster | 2019 Schedule | PDF Box Score | Season Stats | HTML Box
COLUMBUS, Ohio – No. 8 Ohio State (7-10-1, 2-6-1) defeated No. 9 Rutgers (7-8-3, 1-7-1), 1-0, in the Big Ten Tournament play-in-game to advance and play Indiana tomorrow at 1 p.m.
- Ohio State opened the match with a shot by Xavier Green that was steered wide by the Rutgers keeper and set the tone for the day.
- Parker Siegfried made a couple of nice saves early in the contest to keep it scoreless through the first 20 minutes.
- The Buckeye offense peppered the Scarlet Knights with nine shots and six on goal in the first half before going into the break scoreless.
- Ohio State drew a foul in the 48th minute and to set up a free kick just outside the box. Bennati lined up a shot that was blocked and Xavier Green got to the rebound, but the shot sailed wide right.
- Keeping the pressure on the defense, the Buckeyes continued to put shots in to test the Scarlet Knights before they connected in the 65th minute.
- Jack Holland put a shot on target that was deflected out of bounds and resulted in a Buckeye corner. Holland booted a cross in front of the net and connected with Devyn Etling who headed in his team leading sixth goal of the season to put the Buckeyes on top.
- Rutgers tried to manufacture attempts late but could not get past the Ohio State defense as the match came to a close and the Buckeyes advanced.
- Etling scored his sixth goal of the season bring his point total to 12 for the campaign.
- Holland contributed his eighth assist on the year.
- Holland increased his team leading point total to 18.
- Parker Siegfried tallied his sixth clean sheet of the season bringing his career total to 18.
Shots: Ohio State 15, Rutgers 6
Saves: Rutgers 7, Ohio State 3
Shots on Goal: Ohio State 7, Rutgers 3
Corner Kicks: Rutgers 6, Ohio State 3
Ohio State will play host Indiana at 1 p.m. Sunday in the quarterfinal round of the Big Ten Tournament.