CHARLESTON, W. Va. – Ohio State (9-6) won its fifth straight game, defeating Marshall (8-6), 5-1, in West Virginia on Wednesday.
- The Buckeyes got on the board first. In the top of the second inning, Matthew Graveline hit a lead-off homerun to put OSU ahead of the Herd, 1-0.
- Cole Andrews led off the fourth inning with a double to center field. Graveline, who reached base on a fielder’s choice, stole two bases during the inning but there was nothing else doing for the Buckeyes as they remained ahead, 1-0.
- In the top of the fifth, with one out on the board, Josh McAlister tripled to left field. He then scored on a groundout, putting OSU up by two, 2-0.
- Andrews was walked to lead off the fifth inning and Graveline followed that up with a double to left field to put two runners in scoring position. Mitchell Okuley was next up to bat and a sacrifice fly from him scored Andrews to put the Buckeyes ahead, 3-0. An RBI single from Nick Erwin sent Graveline home to give Ohio State a 4-0 lead with just one out on the board.
- Marshall scored on a passed ball in the bottom of the sixth to get on the board, but Ohio State remained ahead by three, 4-1.
- Ohio State added another run in the top of the eighth after an RBI single from Henry Kaczmar to get back ahead by four, 5-1.
- The Herd were retired in order in both the eighth and the ninth, securing the Buckeyes their fifth straight victory.
Buckeyes by the Numbers
- Graveline and Erwin led the Buckeyes in hits with two each.
- Graveline led the team in runs scored with three and in stolen bases with two.
- George Eisenhardt (1-0) earned his first win of the season. He fanned three and gave up just two hits in 5.0 scoreless innings pitched. He did not walk any batters.
- Nolan Clegg picked up his first save, striking out three and allowing just one hit in 2.1 scoreless innings.
- The Buckeyes open play at Bill Davis Stadium with a three-game series versus Dayton March 17-19. The teams will play at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, 2:00 p.m. on Saturday and 1:00 p.m. on Sunday. Fans can purchase tickets here.