IOWA CITY, Iowa – The Ohio State softball team capped off its 2019 regular season with a 5-0 shutout win at Iowa on Sunday afternoon at Bob Pearl Field. The victory brings the Buckeyes’ overall record to 34-15 while the Hawkeyes finish at 19-31 and 5-18 in Big Ten matchups.
IMPRESSIVE B1G SEASON
By taking two games at Iowa, Ohio State concluded its Big Ten season with a 17-6 mark to rank fourth in the conference standings. The team’s 17 wins in conference play is the most under head coach Kelly Kovach Schoenly and since the 1994 campaign (18).
IN THE CIRCLE
Righty ace Morgan Ray went the distance for the 15th time this year on her way to win No. 17. She let in four hits but kept the Hawkeyes off balance with eight strikeouts. It was the seventh time she has recorded a shutout win in the circle.
WHAT WENT DOWN
- The Buckeyes took a 2-0 lead in the top of the second inning. Niki Carver singled up the middle and Kaitlyn Coffman brought her in with a triple down the right field line, the first of her career. Up next, Claire Nicholson roped a stand-up RBI double to the left field wall.
- Ray retired the Hawkeyes in the third on a trio of strikeouts and stranded a pair in scoring position with an inning-ending swinging strikeout in the fourth.
- Ohio State tacked on two runs in the fifth. Bri Betschel singled and advanced to second base on a wild pitch. Lilli Piper sent her across home plate on a RBI single to the wall. Carver continued the trend with a RBI single to right center.
- The Hawkeyes threatened in the sixth when they had the bases loaded but Coffman made the catch in shallow right field to sit them down.
- Piper singled and Emily Clark walked in the seventh before Ashley Prange’s RBI single drove a run in.
- Ohio State had its 13th shutout of the season.
- The Buckeyes stranded seven base runners.
- Ohio State recorded double-digit hits (11) for the 16th time.
- Lilli Piper was 3-for-4 with two runs and one RBI.
- Niki Carver tallied two hits, one run and one RBI while Bri Betschel had two hits and one run.
- Ashley Prange added two hits and one RBI.
- Kaitlyn Coffman scored once, had a hit and drove in a run.
- The Buckeyes out-hit the Hawkeyes, 24-9, on the weekend.
- Ohio State’s pitching staff posted a 0.39 ERA while holding Iowa to a .145 batting average and one run.
- The defense did not commit an error for the second straight weekend.
- Piper had a .667 batting average, 1.111 slugging clip and .727 on-base percentage. She also had six hits, five runs, three RBI and two walks.
- Betschel batted .455 with five hits and three runs.
- Emily Clark has gotten on base in 20 straight games.
- Piper is on a nine-game hitting streak and Prange has safely reached base in 11 consecutive outings.