Dec. 21, 2015
Athletes of the Week
Keita Bates-Diop, men’s basketball
- Bates-Diop was the top scorer for the Buckeyes against fourth-ranked Kentucky on Saturday, scoring 14 points in a 74-67 win. He added 14 points and 10 rebounds in a 67-54 victory over Northern Illinois on Wednesday.
Ameryst Alston, women’s basketball
- Alston scored 27 points on 10-of-16 shooting against Princeton on Friday, adding six assists in Ohio State’s 90-70 win.
- Sunday, 41 current and former Buckeye student-athletes received their Ohio State degrees at Autumn Commencement. Notable graduates include Joshua Perry and Michael Thomas (football), Sami Jurofsky (rowing), Grayson McCaig (pistol) and Elizabeth Campbell (women’s volleyball).
No. 10 Women’s Basketball (7-3)
- Ohio State won its third straight game on Friday, a 90-70 victory against Princeton in Columbus.
- Leading the way were Kelsey Mitchell and Ameryst Alston, who combined for 52 points. It marked the sixth time the duo each scored at least 20 points in the same game.
- Princeton came into the game allowing just 53.8 points per game and the Buckeyes were nearly able to hit that mark in the first half, putting up 52 points.
Men’s Basketball (6-5)
- The Buckeyes had a perfect 2-0 week last week with wins over Northern Illinois and No. 4 Kentucky. Their win over the Wildcats was the first over a top-5 non-conference opponent since March 24, 2012 when they beat Syracuse to advance to the Final Four.
- Bates-Diop and Trevor Thompson reached double figures in scoring in each game, while Jae’Sean Tate’s 17 points and 10 rebounds led the way against NIU.
No. 6 Wrestling (4-1, 1-0 B1G)
- Victories at 184, 197 and 285 pounds, including a dominating 16-0 tech fall by senior Kenny Courts (184 lbs.) lifted the sixth-ranked Ohio State wrestling team to a 27-16 victory over Northwestern on Friday.
- Logan Stieber, Nathan Tomasello, and Reece Humphrey all wrestled in the U.S. Senior Nationals/Olympic Trials Qualifier last week and all three qualified for the U.S. Olympic Trials. The trio became the fourth, fifth, and sixth Buckeyes to qualify.
- Taylor Sandbothe and Elizabeth Campbell earned spots on the 2015 American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) All-America Teams. Sandbothe became the first Buckeye to receive First Team All-America honors since 2004 (Stacey Gordon) while Campbell was voted to the Third Team.
Ohio State Athletics Schedule
12.21.15 – 12.27.15
Monday, Dec. 21
- Women’s Basketball vs. Virginia, 7 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
Tuesday, Dec. 22
- Men’s Basketball vs. Mercer, 9 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
Sunday, Dec. 27
- Men’s Basketball vs. South Carolina State, 6 p.m. – Columbus, OH