Dec. 7, 2015
Athletes of the Week
- Micah Jordan, Wrestling
- At the CKLV Invitational over the weekend, Jordan won the championship at 141 pounds, going through a pair of top-15 opponents all while improving his individual record to 12-0 this season.
- Taylor Sandbothe, women’s volleyball
- Sandbothe had 26 kills in the Buckeyes’ wins over Robert Morris and American, helping the Scarlet and Gray advance to the NCAA ‘Sweet 16.’ Sandbothe hit at a .588 clip in the win over the Colonials.
No. 16 Women’s Volleyball (25-9, 12-8 B1G)
- Ohio State steamrolled its way into the NCAA ‘Sweet 16’ by defeating Robert Morris (25-13, 25-16, 25-11) and American University (25-23, 25-11, 25-17) in straight sets.
- The Buckeyes are one of just 11 schools nationally to reach at least four ‘Sweet 16’ appearances since 2010.
- Over the weekend, Valeria León ran her season dig total to 548, pulling within 18 of the all-time school single-season record (Sarah Mignin – 566; 2011). León’s 4.35 digs per set average is the top mark.
- Ohio State faces fifth-seeded Washington in a Regional Semifinal match Friday at 7 p.m. ET in Lexington, Ky.
No. 10 Women’s Basketball (5-3, 0-0 B1G)
- Six different Buckeyes finished with 10 or more points as 10th-ranked Ohio State ran past a pesky Cincinnati team in the second half for a 105-76 victory Sunday afternoon at Fifth Third Arena.
- Shayla Cooper was 9 of 11 from the floor and scored a team-high 18 points to lead the Buckeyes, who shot over 57 percent in the second half.
No. 3 Wrestling (3-0, 0-0 B1G)
- After a weekend at the CKLV Invitational in Las Vegas, Jordan and Nathan Tomasello earned championship bracelets at 141 and 125 pounds, respectively.
- Tomasello’s 125-pound title came with a 5-4 decision in the final over Virginia Tech’s Joey Dance, while Jordan’s 5-2 victory over top-seeded Solomon Chishkov in the semifinals was followed up with a 7-3 win in the finals against third-seeded Todd Preston of Harvard.
Men’s Basketball (3-4)
- Four Buckeyes scored in double figures in the Buckeyes’ 89-62 win over VMI on Saturday.
- Jae’Sean Tate led the way with 19 points, while Trevor Thompson (13 points, 10 rebounds) and Marc Loving (17 points, 10 rebounds) each posted double-doubles.
Ohio State Athletics Schedule
12.7.15 – 12.13.15
Monday, Dec. 7
- Fencing at December NAC – Baltimore, Md.
Tuesday, Dec. 8
- Men’s Basketball vs. Air Force, 8 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
Friday, Dec. 11
- Women’s Volleyball vs. Washington (NCAA Regional Semifinals), 7 p.m. – Lexington, Ky.
- Women’s Ice Hockey vs. Minnesota Duluth, 7:07 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
Saturday, Dec. 12
- Men’s Basketball at Connecticut, 12:00 p.m. – Storrs, Conn.
- Wrestling at Missouri, 2 p.m. – Columbia, Mo.
- Women’s Ice Hockey vs. Minnesota Duluth, 4:07 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio
Sunday, Dec. 13
- Women’s Basketball vs. North Carolina A&T, 2 p.m. – Columbus, Ohio