Oct. 31, 2014

Box Score

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State men’s hockey team rallied for a 3-3 overtime tie against Canisius Friday in the inaugural game in HarborCenter in Buffalo. The teams will close the series at 7:35 p.m. Saturday in Buffalo.

The Buckeyes trailed 2-0 on two early first period goals but Matt Johnson and Luke Stork scored in the second period for a 2-2 game after 40 minutes. Canisius went ahead 3-2 at 13:23 of the third, but sophomore David Gust tallied at 15:59 to deadlock the score at three. Neither team was able to score in overtime.

Just 22 seconds into the game, the Golden Griffins’ Shane Conacher scored on the rush and Doug Beck followed with a goal at 1:49 for an early 2-0 Canisius lead. Shots were 11-9 in favor of the Golden Griffins in the period. Buckeye sophomore goalie Matt Tomkins came on in relief and stopped all nine shots he faced.

The Buckeyes tied the game in the second period. At 7:36, Johnson stole the puck and his shot went in and out quickly. It was not called a goal on the ice, but after review, the goal was ruled good, giving the senior his first goal of the year. At 13:18 Stork, a freshman, scored the second goal of his collegiate career, tallying off assists from seniors Darik Angeli and Justin DaSilva. Canisius outshot the Buckeyes, 12-11, in the stanza.

At 13:23 of the third period the Golden Griffins went ahead, 3-2, on Jack Stander’s 4-on-4 goal. The Buckeyes thought they had tied the game right after on a shot by senior Tanner Fritz, but the goal was waived off after video review. Gust then got to the puck in a scramble outside the crease and scored his first goal of the campaign at 15:59. Fritz picked up the first assist on the goal, his team-best fifth assist and seventh point of the year, with Josh Healey recording the second assist. Ohio State outshot Canisius, 12-4, in the period.

The teams headed to overtime tied at three. Each squad put two shots on goal, and Ohio State had a late chance hit the pipe, but neither team was able to get the win.

After it was outshot early, the Buckeyes ended the game ahead in shots, 34-29. Tomkins made 26 saves on 27 shots faced in 63:07 between the pipes. Christian Frey, who started for the Buckeyes, allowed the team’s first two goals. Keegan Asmundson had 31 stops in the game for Canisius.

The Buckeye power play, which entered the game converting at 33 percent, was held scoreless on six chances. Ohio State did not allow a goal on four Golden Griffin opportunities.

The game was the Buckeyes’ third overtime contest (in five games) this season. The squad is now 1-1-1 in overtime this year.