COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State Men’s tennis team defeated the Vanderbilt Commodores 4-0 in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday afternoon.
Entering the match, the Buckeyes were coming off a first round victory over Cleveland State and held a record of 30-2. The Buckeyes won 4-0 over the Vikings on Friday, but were looking to pick up more momentum by defeating an SEC opponent in Vanderbilt.
Ohio State began the match in better shape than the day before, dominating Vanderbilt on courts two and three. Big performances from John McNally and Hunter Tubert gave the Buckeyes the advantage early. Their 6-0 dominance gave the tandem another win this season, putting them at 20-0 in doubles play. Alex Kobelt and Kyle Seelig clinched the doubles point for the Buckeyes, winning 6-3. The Buckeyes have now won the doubles point in 31 of 33 matches in 2019.
Singles play started great for the Buckeyes, with five of six courts jumping out to big leads. Just as Martin Joyce and JJ Wolf clinched the first set of their matches, heavy rain poured onto the courts. Play was suspended and the match was then relocated to the OSU Varsity Indoor Tennis Center. Match play resumed roughly 45 minutes later.
Once matches were resumed in the indoor facility, JJ Wolf took no time in reasserting himself in the match. Wolf was the first to finish in singles, dominating No. 88 Cameron Klinger 6-0, 6-1. “Once our matches resumed, I think my second serve was the fastest serve of my life,” Wolf said. Shortly after the Buckeyes went up 2-0, Martin Joyce put a cap on his match, defeating Sisam 6-1, 6-1. While John McNally battled it out on court two, Hunter Tubert sealed the day and clinched the match victory on court six, winning 6-3, 6-2.
Ohio State advances to the NCAA Regional where they will take on the winner of 16-seed Columbia and Penn State. The match will take place here in Columbus at 1:00 pm est on Saturday May 11.
1. #2 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. #88 Cameron Klinger (VANDY) 6-0, 6-1
2. #26 John McNally (OSU) vs. George Harwell (VANDY) 0-6, 4-3, unfinished
3. #60 Kyle Seelig (OSU) vs. Billy Rowe (VANDY) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
4. #111 Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Macsen Sisam (VANDY) 6-1, 6-1
5. Alex Kobelt (OSU) vs. Maxwell Freeman (VANDY) 6-7 (4-7), 0-3, unfinished
6. Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Panu Virtanen (VANDY) 6-3, 6-2
1. #23 JJ Wolf/Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. #7 Billy Rowe/Cameron Klinger (VANDY) 2-5, unfinished
2. #51 Alex Kobelt/Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Macsen Sisam/Panu Virtanen (VANDY) 6-3
3. Hunter Tubert/John McNally (OSU) def. George Harwell/Maxwell Freeman (VANDY) 6-0
Vanderbilt 16-12; National ranking #35
Ohio State 31-2; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,4,6)
NCAA Tennis Championship Second Round
Official: Mark Anderson