COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 9 Ohio State women’s tennis team defeated Minnesota, 4-0, Sunday in the Ty Tucker Tennis Center, improving to 10-5 overall and 3-0 in the Big Ten.
Minnesota (5-9, 0-5 B1G) entered the match with four available players and had to default No. 3 doubles and Nos. 5 and 6 singles. Ohio State took the doubles point with a win on court two from Isabelle Boulais and Shelly Bereznyak. Danielle Willson clinched the team victory with a straight set win in singles.
Quoting head coach Melissa Schaub
“We had a good weekend. It’s nice to be starting the Big Ten season. It was a reset for us and we know how much every match means moving forward.”
The Buckeyes will close out their three-game homestand with a Big Ten match vs. Purdue at 3 p.m. Friday. The match is slated to be played outside at the Auer Tennis Center but will be moved inside the Ty Tucker Tennis Center in the event of inclement weather. The squad will play at Northwestern next Sunday.
Minnesota vs Ohio State
3/19/2023 at Columbus, Ohio
(Ty Tucker Tennis Center)
#9 Ohio State 4, Minnesota 0
1. #20 Irina Cantos Siemers (OSU) vs. Zoey Weil (MINN) 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
2. Isabelle Boulais (OSU) vs. Anet Koskel (MINN) 6-0, 4-3, unfinished
3. Kolie Allen (OSU) vs. Zeyneb Sarioglan (MINN) 6-2, 2-2, unfinished
4. Danielle Willson (OSU) def. Aiva Schmitz (MINN) 6-3, 6-0
5. Akanksha Bhan (OSU) def. No player (MINN), by default
6. Madeline Atway (OSU) def. No player (MINN), by default
1. Irina Cantos Siemers/Akanksha Bhan (OSU) vs. Zoey Weil/Anet Koskel (MINN) 2-4, unfinished
2. Isabelle Boulais/Shelly Bereznyak (OSU) def. Zeyneb Sarioglan/Aiva Schmitz (MINN) 6-2
3. Kathleen Jones/Madeline Atway (OSU) def. No player/No player (MINN), by default
Minnesota 5-9 (0-5 B1G)
Ohio State 10-5 (3-0 B1G); National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4)
Official: Julio Colon T-1:37 A-196