April 28, 2005
Columbus, Ohio – The Ohio State women’s tennis team exited the 2005 Big Ten Championship following a 4-1 loss to Penn State Thursday at the MSU Tennis Center in East Lansing, Mich. The No.8-seed Buckeyes end the season 7-19. Ohio State won the doubles point, but lost four consecutive singles matches to the No. 8-see Nittany Lions, who advance to face defending champion No. 1-seed Northwestern at 10 a.m. Friday.
The Buckeyes opened the match with a 1-0 lead after winning two of three doubles matches. At the No. 2 position, sophomore duo Sonia Ruzimovsky (Brooklyn, N.Y./Brooklyn) and Kristin Messmer (Lutherville, Md./McDonogh) beat Penn State’s Sasha Abraham and Sarah Spence, 9-7, while at No. 3 the Buckeye tandem of Caitlin O’Keefe (Fr., Troy, Mich./Troy) and Lindsay Bryan (Sr., New Orleans, La./Ursuline Academy) defeated Andrea Niculescu and Katelyn BeVard by the same margin.
Ohio State could not hold its advantage in singles, however. Emily DeCamilla (Sr., Sacramento, Calif./Maryland) won her first set at the No. 1 position against Maaria Husain, 6-3, but dropped the final two, 6-0, 6-2. At No. 2, Ruzimovsky fell to Abraham, 6-2, 6-0, and at No. 5, Messmer was downed by Jenny Shular, 6-4, 6-1. The clinching match came at No. 4, where Niculescu topped Meredith Vincent (Sr., Cincinnati, Ohio/Va. Tech), 6-4, 6-1.
Tennis Match Results
No. 9 Ohio State vs No. 8 Penn State
4/28/2005 at East Lansing, Mich.
No. 8 Penn State 4, No. 9 Ohio State 1
1. Maaria Husain (PSU) def. Emily DeCamilla (OSU) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
2. Sasha Abraham (PSU) def. Sonia Ruzimovsky (OSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Sarah Spence (PSU) vs. Caitlin O’Keefe (OSU) unfinished
4. Andreea Niculescu (PSU) def. Meredith Vincent (OSU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Jenny Schular (PSU) def. Kristin Messmer (OSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Katelyn BeVard (PSU) vs. Lindsay Bryan (OSU) unfinished
1. Husain/Jenny Schular (PSU) def. DeCamilla/Vincent (OSU) 8-5
2. Ruzimovsky/Messmer (OSU) def. Abraham/Spence (PSU) 9-7
3. O’Keefe/Bryan (OSU) def. Niculescu/BeVard (PSU) 9-7
Doubles finish 1, 2, 3
Singles finish 2, 5, 1, 4