COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 7 Ohio State women’s tennis team closes out a three-match homestand when it takes on Purdue at 3 p.m. Friday. Sunday, the squad will play at Northwestern at 3:30 p.m. ET.
Ohio State vs. Purdue: Live Scoring | Indoor Video
Ohio State at Northwestern: Scoring | Video
Admission and parking are free to all Ohio State regular season home matches. Friday’s match will be played INSIDE the Ty Tucker Tennis Center.
The Buckeyes enter the weekend 10-5 overall and 3-0 in Big Ten play. Purdue is 11-2, with a 2-0 B1G ledger, and Northwestern is 5-9 and 1-1 in the conference.
Boulais Named B1G Athlete of the Week
Graduate student Isabelle Boulais was named Big Ten Athlete of the Week for the third time in her career after recording three wins last week.
She posted a singles win and two doubles victories as the Buckeyes were 2-0 in Big Ten play. Friday against No. 16 Wisconsin, she and Shelly Bereznyak clinched the doubles point with a 6-4 win on court two. In singles, her three-set victory on court three against Alina Mukhortova (6-0, 1-6, 6-3), sealed Ohio State’s team win vs. the Badgers. Against Minnesota Sunday, Boulais paired with Bereznyak to secure the doubles point with a 6-2 victory on court two. She was up a set in her singles match on court two when play was suspended with the match decided.
Buckeyes vs. Boilermakers
- Ohio State is 34-23 all-time vs. Purdue, with wins in the last 11 matches.
- Last season the teams met on Purdue’s home courts April 10, 2022, with the Buckeyes posting a 4-0 win.
- Purdue is ranked 44th this season and is 11-2 overall. The squad started B1G play 2-0, notching home wins against Rutgers (7-0) and Maryland (4-2).
- Purdue fell to San Diego State, 4-3, last Friday in its last time out.
Buckeyes vs. Wildcats
- Ohio State and Northwestern each have four wins in the last eight matches between the teams.
- Last season, Ohio State was a 5-2 winner over the Wildcats April 8, 2022 in Columbus. The last match at Northwestern was in 2017, a 7-0 Buckeye victory.
- The Wildcats are 5-9 overall. In Big Ten play, they won 5-2 at Indiana before a 4-3 home loss against Illinois at home. Last week Northwestern lost at No. 10 Duke, 7-0.
- In the most recent ITA rankings, Christina Hand is No. 109 in singles and pairs with Justine Leong as the No. 42-ranked doubles team.
In the Rankings
- Ohio State is seventh in the ITA Collegiate Tennis Rankings this week. The squad has been in the Top 10 since the start of computer rankings.
- The Buckeyes have wins against seven teams currently in the Top 25 – No. 4 Georgia, No. 11 Auburn, No. 12 Tennessee, No. 15 Oklahoma State, No. 17 Wisconsin, No. 21 Oklahoma and No. 23 Old Dominion. Ohio State dropped matches to No. 2 Texas A&M, No. 3 Michigan and No. 8 NC State.
- Three Buckeyes and a doubles team are in the ITA rankings this week. Irina Cantos Siemers is No. 21, Sydni Ratliff is No. 36 and Shelly Bereznyak is No. 91. As a doubles team, Cantos Siemers and Ratliff are ranked eighth, the first time the team has been in the Top 10. The previous best was No. 11 Feb. 21.
Buckeye This and That
- Ohio State posted two Big Ten wins at home last weekend, topping No. 17 Wisconsin 7-0 and Minnesota 4-0.
- Ohio State is now 3-0 in Big Ten play, as it also topped Penn State. The Buckeyes are the defending Big Ten regular season champion and were 11-0 in B1G play in 2022.
- The Buckeyes are 9-1 at home this year, with the only loss to NC State, 4-3.
- Shelly Bereznyak and Lucia Marzal are both 10-1 in singles dual matches this season. Marzal is on a seven-match winning streak that started against Michigan Feb. 12.
- Irina Cantos Siemers has notched eight singles wins in dual play, with Sydni Ratliff recording seven and Kolie Allen posting six.
- In doubles, the tandem of Allen and Danielle Willson is first for the squad with a 6-2 mark in dual matches. Bereznyak and Isabelle Boulais are 4-2 in dual play as a tandem.
- Allen has a team-high eight victories in doubles dual action.
The Schedule Ahead
- After a weekend off, Ohio State will host its final three home matches. The squad will take on Kentucky at 4 p.m. April 5, Nebraska at 4 p.m. April 7 and Iowa at 2 p.m. April 9.
- Admission is free to all regular season home matches and live video and scoring will be available.
- The regular season ends with four straight road matches before the Big Ten Tournament at Purdue starting April 26.