Feb. 10, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The No. 6 seed Ohio State women’s tennis team downed Auburn, 4-1, in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championship Friday in New Haven, Conn. The Buckeyes, now 6-0 on the year, advance to take on No. 3 seed Oklahoma State in the quarterfinals Saturday. The Cowgirls defeated Ole Miss, 4-0, in the first round.
Against the Tigers, the Buckeyes claimed the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. Francesca Di Lorenzo defeated a Top 30 ranked opponent on court one for the first Ohio State singles victory. Anna Sanford and Sandy Niehaus notched wins on courts two and four respectively to help the Buckeyes advance to the quarterfinals.
“We were able to start off strong today in doubles and that always helps,” Melissa Schaub, Ohio State head coach, said. “We just try to focus on competing hard for every point. If we can continue to do that at every spot good things can happen.”
The Buckeye tandem of sophomore Francesca Di Lorenzo and senior Miho Kowase was first off the court in doubles, winning 6-2 over the No. 37-ranked Auburn duo of Alannah Griffin and Andie Dikosavljevic on court two. On court one, senior Sandy Niehaus and junior Anna Sanford fell to the No. 6 pair of Alizee Michaud and Taylor Russo, 6-4. The duo of senior Ferny Angeles Paz and junior Olivia Sneed defeated the No. 31-ranked tandem of Georgiana Axon and Caroline Turner 6-3 on court three to clinch the doubles point for the Scarlet and Gray and give the Buckeyes the 1-0 advantage going into singles.
Ohio State went ahead 2-0 when No. 1 Di Lorenzo downed No. 28 Michaud on court one, 6-2, 6-1. Auburn answered shortly afterwards when No. 98 Russo topped No. 68 senior Gabriella De Santis 6-1, 6-3 on court three.
On court two, No. 55 Sanford defeated Dikosavljevic, 6-2, 7-5. Niehaus topped No. 120 Griffin 6-1, 7-5 on court four to secure the win for the Buckeyes.
After dropping the first set to No. 112 Roos van der Zwaan, 6-3, No. 84 Kowase won the second 6-1 and was up 1-0 in the third on court five when play was suspended. Angeles Paz battled back from being down to win the first set 7-5 and was up in the second 3-2 when the match was abandoned.
Auburn vs Ohio State
Feb 10, 2017 at New Haven, Conn.
#7 Ohio State 4, #14 Auburn 1
1. #1 Francesca Di Lorenzo (OSU) def. #28 Alizee Michaud (AUB) 6-2, 6-1
2. #55 Anna Sanford (OSU) def. Andie Dikosavljevic (AUB) 6-2, 7-5
3. #98 Taylor Russo (AUB) def. #68 Gabriella De Santis (OSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. #120 Alannah Griffin (AUB) 6-1, 7-5
5. #84 Miho Kowase (OSU) vs. #112 Roos Van Der Zwann (AUB) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0, unfinished
6. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) vs. Georgiana Axon (AUB) 7-5, 3-2, unfinished
1. #6 Alizee Michaud/Taylor Russo (AUB) def. Sandy Niehaus/Anna Sanford (OSU) 6-4
2. Francesca Di Lorenzo/Miho Kowase (OSU) def. #37 Alannah Griffin/Andie Dikosavljevic (AUB) 6-2
3. Ferny Angeles Paz/Olivia Sneed (OSU) def. #31 Georgiana Axon/Caroline Turner (AUB) 6-3
Auburn 7-1; National ranking #14
Ohio State 6-0; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,3,2,4)
ITA Indoors First Round