Ohio State at No. 5 West Virginia
Date: Sept. 10
Time: 7 p.m.
Venue: Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium (1,650)
Live Stats: OhioStateBuckeyes.com
Game Notes: Ohio State | West Virginia
Rosters: Ohio State | West Virginia
Season Stats: Ohio State | West Virginia
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Buckeyes remain on the road this week with a 7 p.m. battle with No. 5 West Virginia Friday in Morgantown. The Buckeyes played two neutral-site games last weekend against Xavier and Creighton at the IU Classic in Bloomington, Indiana. After the trip to face the Musketeers, the Buckeyes will play the next four in Columbus starting with No. 16 Akron Sept. 15. Cleveland State comes to Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium Sept. 21 followed by No. 7 Maryland Sept. 24 and Bowling Green Sept. 29.
- Eric Brunner, who played for the Buckeyes from 2005-07 will enter the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame this weekend (Class of 2020). Brunner led the Buckeyes on an historical run in 2007 that culminated in an appearance in the NCAA College Cup Final after winning the Big Ten Conference championship. The first Buckeye to earn First Team All-America honors, Brunner was a 2007 MAC Hermann Trophy candidate and a First Team All-Big Ten honoree in addition to making the 2007 College Cup All-Tournament team. A Dublin, Ohio, native, Brunner was the first Buckeye to make the United States National Team (2008). He was drafted by the New York Red Bulls and played in 103 Major League Soccer games. As a Buckeye, the 2007 captain appeared in 89 games, starting 79.
- Sophomores Deylen Vellios and Laurence Wootton along with senior Xavier Green were named 2021 Big Ten Players to Watch Aug. 23 following a vote by the Big Ten Coaches prior to the season. Wootton leads the Buckeyes with five points. He and Green each have a pair goals this season.
- Ohio State returned all 12 players with points from the 2021 Spring season, including all eight goal scorers.
- Wootton and Parker Grinstead led the Buckeyes offensively last spring and both were members of the Big Ten All-Freshman team. Wootton was named First Team All-Big Ten and was named the league’s 2021 Freshman of the Year.
- Three Buckeyes elected to use the extra year of eligibility afforded by the NCAA because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Samuel Buzzas, Joe Ortiz and Noah Lawrence return to the Ohio State roster for the extra year.
- Ohio State is playing its fourth season under head coach Brian Maisonneuve.
- Maisonneuve was associate head coach at Indiana University, guiding the team to the 2012 NCAA national title. He was a member of the Columbus Crew from 1996-2004.
Interview with Brian Maisonneuve, Ohio State head coach
News and Nuggets
- Academically in 2020-21, the Buckeyes placed 26 players on the OSU Scholar Athlete list, 16 were named Academic All-Big Ten and three were named Big Ten Distinguished Scholar list.
- Keagan McLaughlin begins his Ohio State career following a transfer from Notre Dame after three years in an Irish uniform. The Zanesville, Ohio, played in the two games last weekend in Bloomington. Ohio State fell to Xavier 2-1 and tied Creighton 1-all in double overtime.