February 2, 2018

No. 5 Ohio State Wipes Away Late Oppositional Push


Feb. 2, 2018

Final Stats


CHARLESTON, W.Va. — The No. 5 Ohio State University men’s volleyball team (6-2) overpowered the previously unbeaten University of Charleston (3-1) with strong performances both offensively and defensively. The Buckeyes attacked .372 as a team while 10 team blocks paired with a +13 digs differential held the Golden Eagles to a .038 hitting percentage. Despite a valiant effort by Charleston in the third frame, Ohio State ended the night in three sets for the third straight outing (25-17, 25-9, 25-23).

Jakes Hanes and Maxime Hervoir handled the heavy lifting as Nicolas Szerszen took it easy, sitting out the last set and attempting just eight attacks on the evening. Hanes bounced a dozen kills attacking .241 while Hervoir contributed 11 kills at a .391 hitting clip. Blake Leeson and Szerszen were uber efficient in their limited offensive opportunities, posting attack stat lines of 6-1-9 (.556) and 5-1-8 (.500), respectively. Sanil Thomas directed the offensive onslaught, setting up 32 assists and smiting a pair of service aces for direct offensive output.

Thomas also matched Aaron Samarin with a team-high nine digs, followed closely by Szerszen’s eight digs. Nick Laffin was a force at the net, getting in on five block assists.

SET 1: Thomas assisted on 14 of Ohio State’s 15 kills in the opening frame, siding out at a 76% rate. The Buckeyes broke up a 7-7 tie and grabbed 18 of the final 28 points to go ahead with a 25-17 winner.

SET 2: It was all Buckeyes early and often in set number two. Ohio State strung together runs of 9-0, 5-0 and 4-0 during a 25-9 lambasting. Hervoir and Laffin teamed up for two blocks and Szerszen recorded two solo swats. The Buckeyes rolled offensively, too, attacking .440 to bury Charleston by 16 points.

SET 3: Despite owning their last lead at 1-0 in the third set and trailing by as many as seven points (16-9), the Golden Eagles never gave up. Charleston stormed back to within a lone tally at 23-22 and 24-23. Ultimately, Reese Devilbiss delivered the final blow (for the second straight match) though, closing it out 25-23 with a kill set up by Thomas.

The Scarlet & Gray compete again in less than 24 hours, rolling over to Fairfax, Va., for a another EIVA challenge at George Mason at 7 p.m. ET (Feb. 3).