Jan. 29, 2012
Recap | Box Score | Quotes | Photo Gallery 1 | Photo Gallery 2
No. 4 Ohio State 64 (19-3, 7-2), No. 20 Michigan 49 (16-6, 6-3)
Jan. 29, 2012
Value City Arena – Columbus, Ohio
- The win vs. Michigan was the 38th-consecutive victory at home for Ohio State dating back to the game vs. Michigan on Feb. 27, 2010. The streak is the second-longest in the country behind Kentucky.
- The 38-consecutive home game win streak is the second-longest in Ohio State history. The Buckeyes won 50 in a row from 12/1/59 – 12/11/64.
- The Buckeyes move to 91-71 all-time vs. Michigan and 52-26 in Columbus.
- Ohio State extended its winning streak vs. Michigan to six games, dating back to 1/3/10. Ohio State has won 15 of the last 17 contests.
- As a ranked team, the Buckeyes are 33-4 vs. the Wolverines. When Michigan is ranked, Ohio State is 13-23 vs. the Maize and Blue.
- When both Ohio State and Michigan are ranked, the Buckeyes are 5-2. The last time both teams were ranked at the same time was 2/9/06 (No. 19 OSU def. No. 22 UM, 94-84).
- As a ranked team, Ohio State has now won its previous 12 games vs. the Wolverines.
- The game vs. Indiana was the 70th sellout in Value City Arena history. The Buckeyes own a 57-13 record in those contests, including a 46-9 mark vs. Big Ten opponents. They are 4-0 this year (Duke, 11/29/11, Northwestern, 12/28/11, Indiana, 1/15/12).
- Ohio State moved to 157-23 (.871) all-time at Value City Arena.
- Ohio State moves to 731-664 overall in the Big Ten, including a 67-18 record at Value City Arena.
- Ohio State is 40-7 in its last 47 Big Ten matchups, dating back to 3/8/09.
- As a ranked team, Ohio State is 414-111 overall and 293-62 when ranked in the AP Top 10.
- As the Associated Press No. 4 team, Ohio State is 33-5 overall.
- The Buckeyes have now won by double figures in 17 of their 19 victories this year. 14 of their wins have been by 22 or more points. Ohio State’s 22.0 average margin of victory is No. 1 nationally.
- Four players scored in double figures for Ohio State. So far this season, seven Buckeyes have scored in doubles figures for a total of 72 times.
- In their last 75 games, the Buckeyes are 68-7.
- Ohio State has had a player record a double-double in 834 games. The Buckeyes are 575-259 in those contests (.688). Lenzelle Smith Jr. had a double-double (17 points, 12 rebounds) vs. Michigan, the first of his career.
- This is the 284th-consecutive game Ohio State has made at least one 3-point field goal (1/10/04 vs. Penn State was the last game with zero made).
- The starting lineup of Buford, Craft, Smith, Jr., Sullinger and Thomas is 17-2 this season.
- The 21 points scored were a season low in a half for Michigan (22 – 2X, last vs. Duke, 11/22/11).
- The 49 points scored were a season low for Michigan (58 at Virginia,11/29/11).
- Michigan did not attempt a free throw until 2:33 left in the second half.
- Michigan’s Zach Novak was held scoreless for the first time this season.
- The four attempted free throws by Michigan were a season low (5 vs. Michigan St., 1/17/12).
- The 83.3% free throw percentage tied a season high (vs. USC-Upstate, 12/14/11) and was a Big Ten season high.
- The win vs. Michigan was Thad Matta’s 209th win at Ohio State and his 105th Big Ten victory since beginning his Ohio State career.
- Matta’s career record moves to 311-91 overall and 209-60 at Ohio State.
- With the win, Matta moves to 109-43 in the Big Ten during his career.
- Matta boasts an impressive 15-2 record record vs. Michigan.
- Matta’s .776 winning percentage at Ohio State is the best among Big Ten coaches since he became the Buckeyes’ head coach in 2004.
- Ohio State is 47-20 in January under Matta.
- The Scarlet and Gray are 127-19 when grabbing more rebounds than the opponent, including 16-2 this season (OSU outrebounded Michigan 38-29).
- When shooting a better percentage than the opponent, Ohio State moves to 186-19 under Matta, including 19-1 this season.
- When holding their opponent to under 50 percent shooting, the Buckeyes are 19-1 this season and 196-47 under Matta.
- Ohio State is 194-5 under Matta when leading with five minutes to play, including 19-0 this year.
- The Buckeyes are 176-19 overall and 18-1 this season when leading at the half.
- The Buckeyes are 16-2 this season and 177-47 under Matta when limiting themselves to 15 or fewer turnovers. Ohio State had 11 turnovers vs. the Wolverines.
- The start was Buford’s 120th donning the Scarlet and Gray, three behind Ken Johnson (123) for fourth place in career games started at Ohio State.
- Buford has been a part of 104 wins at Ohio State, the eighth most all-time.
- Buford is just the fourth Buckeye in recorded history to reach 1,000 points, 500 rebounds and 300 assists. Buford’s current totals are 1,755/575/329.
- Buford scored 12 points for the Buckeyes, improving his career total to 1,755, one point behind Jay Burson (1,756) for seventh place all-time in Ohio State career scoring.
- Buford had five rebounds to push his career total to 575. He is one of 17 Buckeyes in the prestigious 1,500 point and 500 rebound club.
- Buford has scored in double figures 18 times this season and 96 times in his career, including 59 games with at least 15 points.
- Buford became the fifth player in Ohio State history to join the 400 (made field goals) and 4,000 (minutes played) club. After the Michigan game, Buford has now tallied 662 made field goals and 4,118 minutes played in 128 career games (J. Diebler, D. Lighty, J. Butler and H. Williams are the other Buckeyes to achieve this feat).
- Buford had two assists in the game for a career total of 329.
- Sullinger had 13 points for the Buckeyes. It is the 19th time this season and 53rd time in his career he has scored in double figures.
- With 13 points, Sullinger is 23 from joining the 1,000 point club.
- Sullinger had five rebounds, pushing his career total to 558.
- Craft had four assists to push his season total to 109 and his career total to 286. He has had at least three in 21 of his previous 22 games played.
- Deshaun Thomas finished with 12 points. It is the 30th time in his career he has scored in double figures and 19th time this season.
- Thomas has scored in double figures in 19 of his last 22 games played. The 19 times this season are a team high.
Lenzelle Smith, Jr.
- Smith Jr. set a career high in rebounds with 12 (9 at South Carolina, 12/17/11).
- Smith Jr. had eight offensive rebounds, a team high in a game this season.
- Smith Jr. recorded his first career double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
- The 17 points by Smith, Jr. are the second most in his career (28 vs. Indiana, 1/15/12).